Photos of Fred Anderson....

sheldonm

The music started off magnificantly. Fred played a set with his quartet that included Jeff Parker and a young rhythm section who I had never seen before. They played with alot of fire and really kept the music going strong while Fred and Jeff soloed. The time Fred and Jeff have played together really shows, as they have great chemistry on stage. They got into some call/response stuff that was really cool. It was an excellent set.

The rest of the night was average to me. Greg Ward played for a LONG set, and then after that they just had a jam session. There were definitely some nice moments in these sets, but after seeing the set with Fred, it was hard act to follow. But regardless, it was a really good evening, even if blake and sheldonm forced me to spend money I don't have at the Jazz Record Mart.

It was cool to meet you, Greg! And as always, great pics Mark.

You can find a live disc called BACK AT THE VELVET LOUNGE that has both of them on it, but I wouldn't recommend it as highly as their individual works. It is good. On at least one track, Harrison Bankhead (bassist) plays acoustic guitar in an odd fashion. In my opinion, it scars the disc. Others may like it.

Then there's LIVE AT THE VELVET LOUNGE: VOLUME TWO, which I have not heard. I think this would be of more interest. Maybe others can chime in.

...although Fred was great as usual, I think they were a little disorganized as they attempted to pull together rhythm sections as the night wore on. Harrison Bankhead came in, Ernest Dawkins came in, Hamid Drake was suppose to come in but none of them played.....but, Fred/Jeff were outstanding and it was great seeing Sal again and meeting Greg for the first time!!! Sal has plenty of money, he's just being a martyr!!! :P

m~

You can find a live disc called BACK AT THE VELVET LOUNGE that has both of them on it, but I wouldn't recommend it as highly as their individual works. It is good. On at least one track, Harrison Bankhead (bassist) plays acoustic guitar in an odd fashion. In my opinion, it scars the disc. Others may like it.

Then there's LIVE AT THE VELVET LOUNGE: VOLUME TWO, which I have not heard. I think this would be of more interest. Maybe others can chime in.

I bought "VOLUME 2" at the show...haven't had time to play it yet. I'll chime back in when I've had the chance.

There's not much for me to add beyond Mark and Sal's contributions which are spot on. Meeting the two of them in person was pleasure. We must have looked silly constantly checking out the door for walk-ins. Dawkins and Bankhead showed, we got excited, and they didn't play. But we were most hopeful for Hamid since Fred told us he'd have to pull his horn back out if he showed up. Alas, our visions of a Fred, Hamid, Harrison Bankhead trio never materialized. Mark is right, they were just a tad bit unorganized but it was good fun nonetheless. If any of you plan to attend the upcoming shows I'd advise you to get there by 8:00 sharp. Oh, and plan on eating at the Star of Siam next door to the JRM - good Thai food and cheap!

But regardless, it was a really good evening, even if blake and sheldonm forced me to spend money I don't have at the Jazz Record Mart.

Yes, we're guilty. And now the rest of you can join in - Sal is on the fence about buying the Dolphy Prestige recordings box. Mark and I think he should take the plunge. What do you think?