Matthew Shipp

Robert J

Matthew Shipp is playing 2 dates in Toronto this weekend, both of them solo piano. I've never seen him live so I am really excited. :excited: I can't make the Saturday one but I am going to catch the Sunday matinee at a different and much smaller venue (80 people max). It is actually the same room where I spent a weekend taking the Barry Harris Jazz workshop - same Steinway piano. So I'll probably get to chat with him. From what I hear/have read he's quite an articulate man. Also it's only $11 :tup

(From Thirsty Ear site)

Matthew Shipp upcoming tour dates to support his solo album ONE.

March 3 - Montreal, Canada

March 4 - Toronto, Canada

March 5 - Toronto, Canada

March 6 - New York City, NY

March 23 - Buffalo, NY

March 25 - Wilmington , DL

April 1 - New York City

April 6 - New York City - Symphony Space

April 18 - 30 - Italian tour

May 19 - New Mexico - Outpost Festival

June 18 - New York City - Vision Festival

clifford thornton - Did you catch the Austin gig in Feb?

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back to this finally!

The concert was held in a small room - actually an artist-run loft/space used by Arraymusic - Canada's premiere new music ensemble. Maybe 60 people at the most. I was able to grab a chair about 6 feet from the front of the piano facing Matt.

I am not familiar with the new solo work "One" so I had no expectations, other than what I've heard from his association with Ware and on his other discs.

He played for about 1 hour straight, mostly with his eyes closed. Wow - what a physical player, he hunched his shoulders, did lots of hand crossings, pounding of his left arm on the bass end of the piano, and even stuck his hand into the strings and plucked a few harmonics for good measure. He also used both the sustain and the "una corda" pedals quite frequently, to good effect. The piano moved a few inches by the end of the recital. At one point I thought he'd come close to destroying it - quite a thunderous sound from that Steinway.

He did not stop to distinguish when a tune ended or began, as would his disc if you listened. It was one long flow. The only time he had a discernable melody was when he started to riff on "Summertime" at the 1/2 way mark.

No doubt - it was difficult listening. Many who attended seemed to squirm a bit for the first 1/2 which was like hyper-avant garde classical piano. But the second 1/2 fell into more of a Cecil improv vein - though it is not accurate to say he sounded anything like Cecil. Still - quite cathartic once complete. Shipp really has focus and did not get lazy with his ideas. Must be difficult to avoid cliché or unconscious riffs.

I took some photos - but I certainly am not a good photographer - I also did not want to ruin his attention so I was a little shaky.

I did speak to him afterwards. I used Allen's name as an ice breaker. :) We talked for 10 minutes about a whole bunch of stuff and he had some funny anecdotes. My only loss was that I spent my last $ on the ticket and didn’t have $15 to buy his disc there and then. (But will do so on CD Universe to support the Big O of course!)

Edited by Robert J