Dave Chappelle's Block Party

johnagrandy

• 3 weeks later...

I finally saw this last night. A genuine "feel good" movie, rather than the ersatz Hollywood kind. The musical acts were mostly engaging (I'm going to check out more Cody Chestnutt, for one), and Chappelle provides further evidence that he might just be the funniest MF alive. I love that fact that he attributes his crack comic timing to a close and reverent study of Thelonious Monk! Highly recommended.

Who was the Michael Franti of yesterday's rap scene?

I saw the movie and enjoyed it alot. The performances were a bit weak at time because the show went on for hours. ?uestlove was awesome throughout on drums though. I LOVE the fact that Chapelle is showing an entire generation of people that actual rap music exists, and that Nelly candy wrap stuff is garbage.

I went to see it a couple weeks ago because my son wanted to see it. I reluctantly agreed(I'm not a rap fan) to see it, and I enjoyed it very much. Chappelle is very funny just hanging out, and the bit he does with the band and 'Hit me' is hysterical. The thing that really made an impression on me was how much I enjoyed the rapping. It was all done with a live band, so the performers were not at the mercy of prerecorded tracks, allowing the music & the performers to breathe. The rappers also were not gangster rappers, so no diatribes about how many guns, hos, bling, etc. Instead, they embraced positivity and struggle for freedom.

I went to see it a couple weeks ago because my son wanted to see it. I reluctantly agreed(I'm not a rap fan) to see it, and I enjoyed it very much. Chappelle is very funny just hanging out, and the bit he does with the band and 'Hit me' is hysterical. The thing that really made an impression on me was how much I enjoyed the rapping. It was all done with a live band, so the performers were not at the mercy of prerecorded tracks, allowing the music & the performers to breathe. The rappers also were not gangster rappers, so no diatribes about how many guns, hos, bling, etc. Instead, they embraced positivity and struggle for freedom.

Exactly ! And Public Enemy and all those other OGs up till NWA were socially conscious rappers as well. And then The Man took the shit over and now it's 99% commercialized BS.

Socially conscious rap lives on in the underground !

Exactly ! And Public Enemy and all those other OGs up till NWA were socially conscious rappers as well. And then The Man took the shit over and now it's 99% commercialized BS.

Socially conscious rap lives on in the underground !

Hell yes! The Roots aren't exactly "underground," but they are an amazing band. I'm always surprised that none of the high schoolers who claim to be into Hip-Hop have never heard of them...As far as I'm concerned, they're one of the best contemporary bands of ANY kind out there...

I picked up the CD the other day. After having listened to about half of it I'm pretty disappointed in the quality of the performances. Talib Kweli in particular sounds pretty bad.

Go see the movie...

It's about a lot more than just the music.