NYC....Here we come!

sheldonm

Thanks for all the info guys and to Chris for the pastrami! I think we have all the shows/venues lined up for the week, still have to figure out where all the venues are.....Lincoln Center and the Iridium are close to where we're staying....also going to the Vanguard, Jazz Standard, Smoke and the Apollo Theater for the "Great Night in Harlem" show on 5/4....maybe others if time permits.

m~

Thanks for all the info guys and to Chris for the pastrami! I think we have all the shows/venues lined up for the week, still have to figure out where all the venues are.....Lincoln Center and the Iridium are close to where we're staying....also going to the Vanguard, Jazz Standard, Smoke and the Apollo Theater for the "Great Night in Harlem" show on 5/4....maybe others if time permits.

m~

You might want to get allaboutjazz New York off the allaboutjazz website (about the most thorough day by day jazz listing for New York), and also pick up a copy of Time Out New York when you get there. There's usually something totally unexpected that pops up, so stay flexible.

For thin crust pizza John's is GREAT- there's one in Greenwich Village on Bleecker ST. and I believe there is one near Times Square.

For Junior's(ne plus ultra of cheesecake), just get the 'R' or 'B' or 'Q' train to DeKalb Ave in Brooklyn and go right upstairs and enter cheesecake heaven! They also have eggcreams, which have neither eggs nor cream in them.

If you're REALLY adventurous for pizza, the place that is hailed by many for the best slice in NYC is DiFara's. To watch Domenico DeMarco make a pie is to watch an artiste at work. You may 45 minutes for a slice, but it is well worth it. 'Q train to Avenue 'J' in Brooklyn, walk one short block and you're in pizza heaven. The area is no problem as far as crime, etc.

Yeah, I believe John's is between Seventh Avenue South and 6th Ave (closer to 7th Ave S.) and it is fantastic. And after John's you can take a very brief walk around the corner to #15 Barrow Street and see the site of the famous Cafe Bohemia (now a college hangout beer kinda place).

Marla