"Songs of Peace" tonight on Night Lights

coltranepeace.jpg

This week on Night Lights it's "Songs of Peace." We'll hear instrumental themes using "Peace" as a title from John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, and Horace Silver, as well as Louis Armstrong's 1970 take on John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance," Bill Evans' improvisation on Leonard Bernstein's "Some Other Time" that came to be known as "Peace Piece," Mahalia Jackson's a capella version of Duke Ellington's "Come Sunday," and more. "Songs of Peace" airs Saturday, April 15 at 11:05 p.m. EDT on WFIU-Bloomington and at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNIN-Evansville. The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Night Lights archives. For more jazz for the Easter weekend, you can listen to our archived March 26, 2005 program "Mary Lou's Mass: Music for Peace." The show is devoted to the 1960s sacred jazz of pianist Mary Lou Williams, whose instrumental "Miss D.D." is the opening theme for Night Lights.

Next week: "Full Nelson." Oliver Nelson's 1960s big-band studio recordings.

coltranepeace.jpg

This week on Night Lights it's "Songs of Peace." We'll hear instrumental themes using "Peace" as a title from John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, and Horace Silver, as well as Louis Armstrong's 1970 take on John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance," Bill Evans' improvisation on Leonard Bernstein's "Some Other Time" that came to be known as "Peace Piece," Mahalia Jackson's a capella version of Duke Ellington's "Come Sunday," and more. "Songs of Peace" airs Saturday, April 15 at 11:05 p.m. EDT on WFIU-Bloomington and at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNIN-Evansville. The program will be posted Monday afternoon in the Night Lights archives. For more jazz for the Easter weekend, you can listen to our archived March 26, 2005 program "Mary Lou's Mass: Music for Peace." The show is devoted to the 1960s sacred jazz of pianist Mary Lou Williams, whose instrumental "Miss D.D." is the opening theme for Night Lights.

Next week: "Full Nelson." Oliver Nelson's 1960s big-band studio recordings.

just finished listening to this very special edition. every piece was a wellworn personal favorite. each, from my personal collection, was deeply moving. miss mahalia, and silent way, and peace piece, and welcome, and the horace, and the pharoah, and pops, and 'from things to come,' summarize the most moving of 50 years of listening to this music. thanks, aloC.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

This program is now archived. Thanks for the comments, ep1 and aolC. I'd like to do more with Ornette; he still doesn't get enough airplay on jazz radio, IMO... and that may be the first time that I've played him on Night Lights, so I guess I better rehab my own damn glass house before I start casting any stones, eh?

Edited by ghost of miles

The 'Peace' name may represent my favorite series of common-title compositions in the music (an esoteric honor, I know). Ornette's tune may have gotten me into the music. Kudos.

joachim kuhn just released a gorgeous solo album of ornette compositions. combined with the live joachim-ornette concert, you have a whole beautiful show right there.

This program is now archived. Thanks for the comments, ep1 and aolC. I'd like to do more with Ornette; he still doesn't get enough airplay on jazz radio, IMO... and that may be the first time that I've played him on Night Lights, so I guess I better rehab my own damn glass house before I start casting any stones, eh?

laz lake played one set as described above and and it was hauntingly beautiful. he repeated it a few days later.

Thanks--I was fairly happy with how that one turned out and would like to do more along those lines. Chris Albertson and some other jazz folk on the Internet were a tremendous help with that particular program. Thanks for the Ornette suggestions as well.

that was familiar material in fresh context.

you were most gracious with your praise.

joachim is a great master and a beautiful musician.