Jackie McLean special airing now on "Like It Is"

Christiern

Visiting here on the weekend!

Stopped by to nab some Jackie McLean obits, etc. to use as part of my radio homage to him this coming Tuesday 4/25/06. I am able to sub at a local FM community radio station from time to time and will air a tribute to him during the program which will run from 9-11:30 a.m. central time on 90.1 FM WEFT.

Whata F*cking great sound Jackie had on the instrument..."Let Freedom Ring" is still so vital to me IN MANY WAYS!!!! rant...rave... :mellow:

has jackie been documented a lot on video over the years?

Well, I know that a filmed version of "The Connection" in which the musicians, including Jackie, act and play is currently available on DVD.

I have four VHS tapes, three that feature Jackie and one in which he appears with a group of all stars:

- "Jackie McLean on Mars", a wonderful documentary of Jackie made sometime in the early '80s

- Mal Waldron-Jackie McLean - "All Alone" (55 mins.), a Tokyo studio perfomance in '86 of a quartet that included Herbie Lewis and Eddie Moore

- Jackie McLean Quintet featuring Rene McLean - "Dynasty" (57 mins.), live performance in Nov '88

- "Tribute to Charlie Parker" (France, 1989, 57 mins.) in which Jackie appears in a variety of settings that include Dizzy, Phil Woods, Stan Getz, Milt Jackson, Hank Jones, Percy Heath and Max Roach. There is one especially memorable performance of "Cherokee" that features a front line of Jackie with Phil Woods.

Tape being as unreliable in the long run, I've only recently begun the long process of transferring many of my VHS tapes to DVD.

I watched it after I read your thread. I had seen it before. What a man. What a player. What a life.

The best tribute i could give is to say that though I never met the man I met a few of his students from Hartford. They all could play and they all could swing.

Good work, Jackie Mac. And good looking out. Thanks for caring about the human race.