Mark Elf

Jazz Kat

Exceptional musician. This guy's one of the best guitar players around. I downloaded some stuff from I-tunes, including a track from Kenny Dorham's Whistle Stop. Elf does 'Philly Twist.' What a tune. I also love his composition based on the changes to Giant Steps, Elfin's Place. This guy's a master. Anybody like him?

Exceptional musician. This guy's one of the best guitar players around. I downloaded some stuff from I-tunes, including a track from Kenny Dorham's Whistle Stop. Elf does 'Philly Twist.' What a tune. I also love his composition based on the changes to Giant Steps, Elfin's Place. This guy's a master. Anybody like him?

I like what I've heard. It's pretty funny but not only are we both jazz guitarists, but our fathers were paperhangers and worked together sometimes. Honest injun! I haven't seen Mark in years, though, and we've only met once or twice anyway. He's a pro and a veteran and can play damn good, that's for sure.

I love to see guys like Mark Elf and Tony Monaco taking matters into their own hands and putting out their own music. "Oh, no one else will put it out or give me a fair deal....screw it, I'll do it myself." It's a lot of hard work and there aren't too many musicians who are willing to put in that kind of commitment when it's not directly linked to their instrument. But, here's the news, it's directly linked to whether you'll have a career or not!

Mark Elf rules, great player, great do-it-yourselfer-fuck-the-industry-guy.

I love to see guys like Mark Elf and Tony Monaco taking matters into their own hands and putting out their own music. "Oh, no one else will put it out or give me a fair deal....screw it, I'll do it myself." It's a lot of hard work and there aren't too many musicians who are willing to put in that kind of commitment when it's not directly linked to their instrument. But, here's the news, it's directly linked to whether you'll have a career or not!

That's right. But there's more guys doing it than you think (me included). The record companies are dinosuars. Even they know it.* The last stake through the heart driven in through CD Baby, Kazaa, personal websites, etc. It's better anyway, you know. The only good thing about capatalism is shit or get off the pot. It's a rough road to travel it's true, but in the end you sleep well not having had to succumb to politics, marketing weasels f'ing over you the artist's intentions, plans, and (what balls they have) programming order. You sleep a whole lot better and feel good about yourself. So you're not rich. Who is? Not most of us poor slobs. We can make art, though, and spread joy. (soapbox alert: if you are ofended by editorializing by starving artists turn away from this post for the next 12 seconds, or the start of Leno---whichever comes first :party: ) Can most of the rich and clueless? Can they? :rmad: (I love these wacky emoticons. It's like being on a jungle jim :rofl:

*"Kay. My father's way of doing things is finished. Even he knows that. In ten years the Corleones will be completely legitimate....."

Musicians I know just put CDs out themselves. For the most part, we're all just trying to sell CDs from the bandstand, a few in local record shops, CD Baby and a website. I think that's 99% of the "record industry" these days for most working musicians. Nothing wrong with that. However, there's a few things record companies can/did do that we can't...mainly tour support...money to buy ads....pay pr people to get those articles written...ect. Doin' it yourself is great, but limited imho.

Tony Monaco had a good in depth interview in an online B3 players magazine where he describes sinking a ton of his own money paying a pr person to get articles written about him in all the major jazz magazines and it worked. He said, sadly, most independent musicians don't have that kind of cash to do that and he felt lucky. He said without it, he wouldn't have a career right now basically. It really jump-started it for him.

Also, a local sax player friend of mine just did a CD himself, nothing special....but paid a lawyer in the music biz $2,000 (more than it cost to make the record) to promote it and now his band is going on a European tour. Go figure.

Edited by Soul Stream

Musicians I know just put CDs out themselves. For the most part, we're all just trying to sell CDs from the bandstand, a few in local record shops, CD Baby and a website. I think that's 99% of the "record industry" these days for most working musicians.* mainly tour support...money to buy ads....pay pr people to get those articles written...ect. ** Doin' it yourself is great, but limited imho. .

** It's the wave of the present, my friend. Why woo a dinosaur when they're already extinct and will probably reject you anyway? I mean, don't get me wrong: you got nothing to lose but postage or a few phone calls so whay not? But the future is not in record companies. The past (and, granted, sometimes a glorious one) is in record companies. The present is (are?) the things you enumerated, good sir.

** If you can get that good for you, of course do it. I never really tried to get on a label but at this stage oif the game I believe in what I do, the folks I choose to do it with, the blissfully total absence of politics and marketing weasels f'ing with a project my life has gone into.....etc. etc. too much to let someone else do an inferior or compromised job. You get tours, BTW, by getting on the phone, being nice and not pushy, and being smart enough not to feed at the same trough all the other pigs go to.

Mark Elf, or anyone else with the brains and balls to do the same, would probably tell you that he's much better off where he is than in the backwater of a larger company that won't break a sweat to move his product. He's a 50+ Jewish guitar player (like myself, BTW) and nowhere near the 'profile' of the few remaining jazz artists they're even trying to push anymore. Let's get real. There's a way these bean-counters think. I'd buy Marks's CD just to support him. because i believe what he did is the way to go---but mostly b/c it's likely good music. And you know what? If he marketed it with an accent on 'hard-working American enterpeneur hoists own pitard', and 'scrappy jazz guitarist shifts for himself' angles, he'll sell. Mark my words the man will sell. Maybe not into the millions, but what jazz album does? Especially a jazz guitar album? HELLO! How's the weather up there in the 7th galaxy?

Down here it's just fine thanks to Mr. Elf and his ilk (Man, that would be a lame name for a band....). Count me in on the next chorus, too. When my project is ready to roll I'm taking my case directly to the people. If I'm as positive, friendly, have as quality a product with quality material and performers as I intend to show the people I am, I will do more than sell a few CDs. I will begin a long-term relationship with repeat business.

They say 'build it and they will come'. Fine. I say 'build it and bring it to them'. More fun than waiting and better excercise, too ;)

Edited by fasstrack