Film: "Nothing But a Man" (1964) w/ Abbey Lincoln

I just watched a very well made movie from 1964 featuring Abbey Lincoln as the daughter of a southern preacher (Alabama).

The movie focuses basically on her husband (played by Ivan Dixon) as he struggles to maintain some degree of self respect amidst the endemic racism of the south in the 60s, while struggling with issues with his father who he never knew until adulthood. At the same time he comes to terms with his own responsibilities as a father.

Esther Rolle has a very minor role as a church woman.

Recommended highly.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

One of the best American-made black films, IMO. The director is not black, but he knew what he was doing, and I love the fact that he uses source music throughout (mostly if not all Motown, as I recall). This film put to shame the higher budget blaxploitation junk that followed.

the director, Michael Roemer, was at Yale when I was there in the late 1970s - interesting guy - he also directed a movie that came out in 1969 called The Plot Against Harry, about a Jewish gangster - worth seeking out -

Edited by AllenLowe