Jazz Rock super group coming to San Francisco

Guest akanalog

you guys should get off wenospeak's case.

he is a true fan and knows what he is talking about.

he's not trying to do anything shady here.

the guy is excited to see some balls out ripping fusion.

people here listen to a lot worse.

give the guy a break.

Well,

I'm not going to disagree with anyone because it's all true. Donati is a guy with a gift in his feet and has made some serious music and a lot of noise. It's certainly not what I'd call groove oriented in any way - such as Kilson (who probably has the best control of dynamics today) and Williams or DeJohnette. It is of some significance that he's being compared to some pretty amazing drummers.

Personally, I don't think he ranks high on my list, but that's not the point of this post. The point of the post was to encourage folks in the Bay Area to support live Jazz Rock concerts. This is the first collaboration with myself and the promoter. If it goes well, we can bring other great Jazz Rock artists up from L.A. (that usually never venture far from home, unless on an EU or Japan tour). Such as Jeff Richman, Scott Kinsey, Gary Novak, Scott Henderson, and a lot of folks that regularly appear at the Baked Potato, etc.

CAB by the way is Bunny Brunel's group that is normally comprised of Bunny on Bass, Dennis Chambers on drums, either Patrice Rushen or Brian Auger on keys and occasionally Virgil on drums.

I'm not a wank-a-thon fan at all, however, like anything else you want see blossom, you have to start small and work your way up. This is the first effort to make SF a destination for Jazz Rock bands. (outside of the small roster of regulars at Yoshi's).

Maybe these guys are not your cup of tea, but they certainly have what it takes to make good music - Mitchel Forman is an amazing keyboard player and his Cd's "Mr. Clean" and "Patience" are two of my all time favorites.

My position is that this show is critical to the well being and growth of Jazz Rock concerts in the Bay Area. Ok, so the first offering isn't the original Mahavishnu Orchestra, but I'll bet everyone has gone to a "Jazz Festival" and seen some real crap and then gone back the next year.

In summation, this is not about me, the promoter, or Virgil Donati - it's about supporting Jazz Rock.

I know all that sounds quite defensive, but really, what can I do, just roll over?

In honesty and passion for Jazz Rock,

Rick Calic

www.jazzrockworld.com

slashbed.jpg

Totally awesome.

now that sums up what i don't get about some % of the people on these forums. a lot of you only want one slice of life. i really don't get it. i really don't.

it's like in F1 racing, Flavio Briattore, i mean the guy looks and talks like a sleazy leftover disco scumbag. but ... uhhh ... what's wrong with this picture ? why is Renault and Alonso on top and looking unbeatable ? who discovered Senna ? we're talking about a sport where every trick (nasty and otherwise) in the book is deployed -- even though it's already an inherently deadly game.

or since that analogy might be like arguing about when to sneak in on low suited connector ...

what about Scratch's new album ? it's not like i really care about what's going down on the mean streets of Philly ( in reality or as an artifice ) and i couldn't hang with that scene in any case ... but Scratch is a real innovator, pushing the limits of his craft, and you don't have to be coming from the hip-hop side to see that. and the sounds totally cross over into the younger generation who aren't or just can't be hip to McBride -- DJ Logic or no DJ Logic, Scratch or no Scratch. better than them listening to $0.50

Slash ? what's the big deal ? yeah, now he's getting a little old and fat to pull it off ... but c'mon ! the cat lived a wild life. the hottest babes in the world , 3 or 4 hotel rooms going at once , speedballing from one to the next ... ok, it's a hopelessly shallow road to nowhere, but don't you wish you'd done that in your twenties (that is, if you didn't) ?

The show was fantastic.

The performance was extremely cohesive and thanks to Mitch Forman had a great vibe.

the crowd was small, but they got to see some fantastic fusion. A rare treat for SF fans.

Because of our efforts, it looks like we may be able to bring the SKG to SF in August.

SKG

Scott Kinsey - keys

Scott Hendeson - guitar

Gary Novak - drums

Jimmy Earl - bass

:w