Sam Rivers Trio

:tup A week ago tonight, while still on vacation, I had the privilege of seeing and hearing the Sam Rivers Trio in concert at the Atlantic Jazz Festival in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. This was truly one of the GREATEST LIVE PERFORMANCES I have ever experienced. The sold-out crowd of 300 (in a small theatre) loved the 75 minute concert, giving the group a a lengthy standing ovation and demanding an encore. Rivers, now in his seventies, still plays with lots of fire, creativity, and joy. He has an outgoing, sunny personality and connected very well with the audience. Yes, much of the music was on the free side, but it was very substantial, and presented with taste and variety, along with a good sense of where to draw the line. (I'm sure Rivers' vast expereince helps in these matters). The other members of the trio, bassist Doug Matthews and drummer Anthony Cole are incredibly flexible musicians, and double convincingly on piano and reeds. (Rivers himself played tenor, soprano, flute and piano). The group even revisited "Beatrice " from Sam's first Blue Note album. If this trio ever travels anywhere near your home, drop everything to run and hear it. You won't be sorry.

Sal,

I also saw them in Chicago, great show. Was that you that sat close to me at the Roy Haynes show last week? I had a camera, you asked to borrow a marker??? I think I heard the name Sal mentioned, just thought I'd ask. I'll be back this Sunday for the Buddy DeFranco show.