The new Velvet Lounge

sal

Got this e-mail from Margaret Davis. Can't wait!!

Dear all,

I just got off the phone with the great Fred Anderson, and there's

wonderful news: Concerts will begin this Friday, July 28th, 2OO6 at

the Velvet Lounge at its new location, 67 East Cermak Road betw.

Michigan & Wabash in the City of Chicago's historic Motor Row

District, just around the corner and within sight of the old Velvet

Lounge location! The phone number at the new space is the same as

before: 312-791-9O5O.

It's not the grand opening yet (that will be in a few more weeks), but

Fred wants to start having music in the new space as sort of test runs

so he can discover and perfect any remaining flaws and see if there's

anything still needed there that might have been overlooked.

Fred was in the new space when I spoke with him, and he sounds very

happy. Everyone please come out and celebrate and support Fred

Anderson, a true hero for all time, in the culmination of this long,

drawn-out, very difficult transition that was forced on him.

I wonder if the new Velvet is going to have that same ol' crappy Pearl drum set that the old Velvet used to have. Hamid used to to play the shit out of it though.

...didn't even think to look. I'll be back there in a couple weeks, I'll check it out! Long live Fred Anderson!!!

m~

ps, sitting in the lot where the "old" Velvet was is now the retail office for the new condos! Those that haven't been in the area in a couple years wouldn't recognize it!

Velvet's grand reopening is scheduled for Aug 10-14 (groups tba); a couple of shows later in the month have been announced:

Aug-17: Fred Lonberg-Holm/Lasse Marhaug/Paal Nilssen-Love/Anton Hatwich

Aug-24: Territory Band Open Session: ad hoc groups built from members of the large ensemble perform later that night at the Velvet Lounge.

Territory Band-6 with special guest Fred Anderson (I've heard about that guy somewhere...) is playing a free concert in Millennium Park earlier on the 24th - sharing the bill with the Anderson/Bankhead/Drake trio!

Territory Band-6 will consist of:

Axel Dörner - trumpet

Fredrik Ljungkvist - reeds

Dave Rempis - reeds

Ken Vandermark - reeds

Lasse Marhaug - electronics

Jim Baker - piano

David Stackenäs - guitar

Fred Lonberg-Holm - cello

Kent Kessler - bass

Paul Lytton - percussion

Paul Nilssen-Love - percussion

and though Jeb Bishop (trombone) was originally listed, I suspect Per-Ã…ke Holmlander (tuba) may be filling that brass chair (based on the fact that Bishop isn't listed among the various small-ensemble concerts that week, while Holmlander is)

Velvet's grand reopening is scheduled for Aug 10-14 (groups tba); a couple of shows later in the month have been announced:

Aug-17: Fred Lonberg-Holm/Lasse Marhaug/Paal Nilssen-Love/Anton Hatwich

Aug-24: Territory Band Open Session: ad hoc groups built from members of the large ensemble perform later that night at the Velvet Lounge.

Territory Band-6 with special guest Fred Anderson (I've heard about that guy somewhere...) is playing a free concert in Millennium Park earlier on the 24th - sharing the bill with the Anderson/Bankhead/Drake trio!

Territory Band-6 will consist of:

Axel Dörner - trumpet

Fredrik Ljungkvist - reeds

Dave Rempis - reeds

Ken Vandermark - reeds

Lasse Marhaug - electronics

Jim Baker - piano

David Stackenäs - guitar

Fred Lonberg-Holm - cello

Kent Kessler - bass

Paul Lytton - percussion

Paul Nilssen-Love - percussion

and though Jeb Bishop (trombone) was originally listed, I suspect Per-Ã…ke Holmlander (tuba) may be filling that brass chair (based on the fact that Bishop isn't listed among the various small-ensemble concerts that week, while Holmlander is)

Thanks Jason, I'll be in town on business that day and will attend/photograph the show in Millennium Park as well as the Charles McPherson show at the Showcase....may stop by the Velvet as well.....it's gonna be a late night! Blake is coming into town as well.....any other board members gonna be around???

m~

I just MC'd Fred's show at the MCA in Chicago last night, and he was on F-I-R-E! Tatsu Aoki has got this thing going on when he plays that's just great. He bobs and weaves and just generally looks like he's having the greatest time ever up there. Isiah Spencer is a mutha behind the drums, and Fred, of course, is Fred. Fred seemed pretty excited about the whole venture, and some Velvet Lounge groupies (who I recognized, but didn't know) were handing out info sheets about the new place. So, hopefully some of the people that came to escape the 115 degree heat will make their way down there!

• 2 weeks later...

This Friday and Saturday are the "official" grand re-opening of the "new" Velvet Lounge in Chicago. Fred Anderson with Harrison Bankhead, Alvin Fielder and Kidd Jordan....possibly some specials guests!!! I'm making the trip into Chicago for tomorrow nights show and Bobby Watson's Horizon gig on Sunday.

Here is a photo I made of Fred during the final week of the old Velvet. It is actually shot through the scratchy window on the front door a couple hours before the show while he was warming up a bit.

m~

Here is a photo I made of Fred during the final week of the old Velvet. It is actually shot through the scratchy window on the front door a couple hours before the show while he was warming up a bit.

m~

Can't imagine how much time I spent on one of the stools at the bar - starting in the late '70s or early '80s. :)