Jazz in Seattle (sept)?

nathan

Hey folks,

I think I'm going to be in Seattle for a long weekend in mid-September. I've never been there, and was hoping someone might have some recommendations for local jazz clubs/listings/artists? or anything particularly going on from the 14th-16th?

many thanks!

nathan

The Hadley Caliman Quartet is playing at Tula's (2214 Second Avenue) on Sept. 15th. Hadley teaches at Cornish and is a bad muthafucker!

Karrin Allyson is at Jazz Alley (2033 6th Ave) September 12-17, 2006.

Egan's Jam House (1707 NW Market Street) in Ballard is a great place to check out local talent -

Thurs Sept 14

9pm - Ev Stern Trio and Friends

Fri Sept 15

10pm - The Willie Nelson Project with Thomas Marriott and Mark Taylor

Sat Sept 16

7pm - Dean Moore - solo ambient gong music [Website]

10pm - More Zero - trombone, tenor sax, vibraphone, bass and drums [Website]

Johnny E ive been trying to remember all last 2 weeks that on my Gerald Wilson cd i could of sworn ive seen one of the names over and over in previous yrs in seattle jazz stuff but i didnt know for sure: it was H. Caldmean!!!!! yea yeay eya what does he sound like now. i usually dont go to tulas, but i would consider it if hes really worth seeing....

Hey folks,

I think I'm going to be in Seattle for a long weekend in mid-September. I've never been there, and was hoping someone might have some recommendations for local jazz clubs/listings/artists? or anything particularly going on from the 14th-16th?

many thanks!

nathan

If you'll have access to a car, up the road about 50 mile, the Anacortes Jazz Fest will going on Sept 15 -17

In fact , my big band,the Norhwest Prevailing Winds will make a rare LIVE appearance Sat. @ @ PM on the Tesoro Stage!

:party::lol::lol::lol::party:

I think Sonny Fortune follows us @ 4 or so

Edited by SGUD missile

Thanks a lot, fellas!

So what exactly is the implied downside of Tula's as a venue?

I have no idea what the implied downside is. Funky configuration of seats and stage? :rolleyes: Ever been to the Village Vanguard? I think Tula's is great--it's the only authentic jazz club we got in this city.

Definitely go see Hadley Caliman. He's a monster, and he'll definitely put on a good show. The last time I saw him at Tula's, Julian Priester (also teaching at Cornish) showed up and sat in on a few tunes!

:tup

sounds good. I'm in. I never minded the Vanguard when I lived in NYC. I was worried they might be implying it was more like the Blue Note (to make another NYC club comparison)...high prices/terrible chatty tourist audience/etc.

More Zero sounds interesting too (thanks Johnny) judging from their online tunes.

thanks all.

I probably should not post my true feelings about Tula's on a public forum. If you really want to know, shoot me a PM. One thing I will say, and this is no secret, the food there is horrible. If you do go see Hadley, get a bite to eat FIRST. The cover at Tula's is low, it's the drink prices that'll get ya'. But there is no minimum at least.

The Hadley Caliman Quartet is playing at Tula's (2214 Second Avenue) on Sept. 15th. Hadley teaches at Cornish and is a bad muthafucker!

Egan's Jam House (1707 NW Market Street) in Ballard is a great place to check out local talent -

Thurs Sept 14

Fri Sept 15

Sat Sept 16

Thomas Marriott is a very, very good trumpet player.

Thurs Sept 14

Fri Sept 15

Sat Sept 16

Thomas Marriott is a very, very good trumpet player.

Yes he is. His brother Dave is no sloach on trombone either.

tulas should be called Crap-las instead. even if you get there at 1:15 am they charge you a 13 dollar cover charge to hear the jazz. they mostly book the same local acts over and over, who i would be more than happy to go see if it didn't cost nearly as much as the village vanguard.

I don't know. The cover charge has always been the one saving grace for Tula's to me. It usually ranges from $5 to $12 (12 on weekends). That's pretty reasonable I think. Plus, no drink minimum. It's customer service that the place is in serious need of.