Edmond Hall, "Petite Fleur" (UA/Mighty Quinn)

Bol

I heartily recommend Edmond Hall's quartet/sextet recording. Ellis Larkins is especially good, as is the leader. I usually don't like Medlies, but this CD has a fantastic medley of Elllington tunes.

I've been listening mostly to bop and avant stuff, but this CD is tempting me to take advantage of the Mosaic 10% off sale and get the Condon Mob set. Can anyone who has both the Condon Mob set and this Hall CD let me know how similar the music is in terms of both style and quality? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Bol

I love Edmond Hall and the Petite Fleur CD is great. The Condon Mob set is kind of variable in terms of style. There are some great sessions with COndon and with Hall that are superb. But there's some other stuff that's less swing and more dixieland (Dick Cary and Jimmy Dorsey sessions, for instance). I enjoy the Dixieland stuff on teh COndon set, but there's no Edmond Hall on those sessions.

If you're looking for something similiar to Petite Fleur , try VIc Dickenson w/ Edmond Hall on Vanguard ("Nice work if you can get it"):

340536.jpg