Coleman Hawkins and Oscar Pettiford Dec. 1943

Face of the Bass

Hey-

I'm looking for the best CD reissue of the Dec. 1943 recording session with Coleman Hawkins and Oscar Pettiford. I think the recording date was Dec. 23, 1943. I've seen a couple tracks offered in compilations, but I'm looking for the entire session, and the best sound that I can find.

Thanks for any help.

There are several Hawk-OP sessions from December 1943. To quote the excellent OP Discography website :

431208 NYC. Coleman Hawkins & His Orch. Coleman Hawkins ts, Bill Coleman tp, Andy Fitzgerald cl, Ellis Larkins p, Al Casey g, Oscar Pettiford b, Shelly Manne d. [Coover Gazdar 43030]

* T 1905 Voodte

* T 1906-1 How Deep Is The Ocean*

* T 1907 Hawkins Barrelhouse

* T 1908-2 Stumpy*

Coleman Hawkins - Ben Webster - Julian Dash. Sax Vol. 1. EPM (F) FCD 5008. - *also on: Coleman Hawkins: Body And Soul. Dreyfus Jazz FDM 36721-2.

431218 NYC. Coleman Hawkins & His Quintet. Coleman Hawkins ts, Ellis Larkins p, Jimmy Shirley g, Oscar Pettiford b, Max Roach d. [Coover Gazdar 43040]

* T 1917 Lover Come Back To Me

* T 1918 Indiana - unissued

* 19001 Blue Changes

* 19002 These Foolish Things - unissued

Coleman Hawkins - Ben Webster - Julian Dash. Sax Vol. 1. EPM (F) FCD 5008.

431223 NYC. Coleman Hawkins Swing Four. Coleman Hawkins ts, Eddie Heywood p, Oscar Pettiford b, Shelly Manne d. [Coover Gazdar 43050]

* T 1923-2 Crazy Rhythm*

* T 1924-2 Get Happy

* T 19005 The Man I Love*

* T 19006 Sweet Lorraine

Coleman Hawkins - Ben Webster - Julian Dash. Sax Vol. 1. EPM (F) FCD 5008. - *also on: Oscar Pettiford: Bass Hits. Topaz 1071. - The Man I Love also on: Ken Burns Jazz: Coleman Hawkins. Verve 549 085-2.

I have never seen a copy of the EPM cd. However, these sessions are collectively available on "The Big Three" and "Coleman Hawkins/Lester Young - Classic Tenors" both issued by CBS Special Products. The 12/23 session is on "Classic Tenors" and it is an excellent session, including "The Man I Love" with OP's famous bass solo, punctuated by his breathing. They sound pretty good to me. They would also be available on the Classics series, but I have not heard those so I cannot comment on their sound.

Edited by Pete B

Thanks. That 12/23 session with Heywood on piano is the one I want. I heard it on vinyl at a friend's house last week and was stunned by his bass solo on Crazy Rhythm with that breathing. You can really see how he played the bass like it was a wind instrument, and also hear his influence on guys like Paul Chambers, etc.

I will check out the Classic Tenors disc.

All of these tracks (with the exception of the unissued ones) are available on the Hawk Proper box.

I know how some people feel about Proper, just stating the facts.

Proper may have made their mistakes (and please bear in mind that the recordings they release are PD in the EU), but I cannot think of a better overview of the Hawk's early forties career.

The December 1943 session is just incredible. And long tunes too (c. 5 minutes for The Man I Love, IIRC)

F