TRIBE sampled Lee moRGan

a tribe called quest is doin their reunion tour- no new album, but they rocked the house. only stadium gig on tour . but yo they sampled the bass line from that one song, on lee organ live at thelight house. you know, bom bom ba. bima ba- bompa boma boama. u know that one song. i am still pissed i cant see the asia reunoin but thius was a good reunoin too

Thanks DatDere. Tribe Called Quest used jazz sampling very effectively. I loved their reworking of "Red Clay" on "Sucka Nigga" from the same album.

Good to hear that they are touring again. Perhaps a new album is in the works? Hip hop could sure use them...

They play on Sep 17 in Toronto, but at $60 before taxes, I will pass. Though it might have been good for my 12 year old son to see the other side of rap artists. I saw them live in 92 and it was a great show (and then for the other side a month later, free tix to see Ice-T "OG" :o )

Still love the Ron Carter sound on Low End Theory.

Does anyone have the version of Red Clay which Tribe sampled? It's one I've tried to track down to no avail.

I always thought it was the plain ol' studio version? The electric keyboards on there sound identical to the sample from the beat.

Thanks Dat Dere. I have tons of the Dusty Fingers compilations which were put together by the same cats (Strictly Breaks) who make the Tribe Vibes comps. I've tried to find them but I've come up empty. Dusty Groove is usually out of stock, I'll have to have them email me if they re-stock Tribe Vibes.

Hey All,

I remember seeing ATCQ way back in the day (1990?)... they were great then, and I'm sure they're just as good now! There's no doubt in my mind that The Low End Theory is by far the best hip-hop/jazz fusion album ever made. ATCQ really nailed it with that album, and I've yet to hear better.

I'm open to more recommendations, though! Can anyone point me in the direction of albums as good as The Low End Theory?

Cheers,

Shane

B000006C6A.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000056Q1Q.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:tup

Hi Noj,

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to check Acey out again... I've really only got stuff by him on the Project Blowed - 10th Anniversary CD I own. I'll dig it out today and have a (re)listen.

Your recommendation on these things is always spot on, so I guess my wallet's gonna take a hit soon!

Cheers,

Shane

I'm open to more recommendations, though! Can anyone point me in the direction of albums as good as The Low End Theory?

Cheers,

Shane

The Pharcyde - Bizzare Ride II the Pharcyde

Hi Sal,

Oh yeah, that's a good one no doubt! :tup

I haven't listened to it in a while, but it's a trip! Some of the tracks on that album just don't settle right, though (some are absolutely great, some not so much)... whereas The Low End Theory is rock solid all the way through!

Don't get me wrong... I love the Pharcyde! It's just that what ATCQ did was so damned good...

Cheers,

Shane

When it comes to beat programming and sampling jazz and funk records, Pete Rock & CL Smooth's "Mecca and the Soul Brother" is still one of my favorites. Another album I've always dug for the inventive sample use is Black Sheep's first album.

I second the recommendation of Aceyalone's "Book of Human Language" (awesome how the beats on this one are often in irregular meters, pretty rare for hiphop..), need to check out that other one as well.