Curse Of The German Shepard

Sundog

Seems like everytime we play a gig lately, something really strange and/or funny happens. Just wanted to share with you a pretty funny situation. At least in retrospect, I think it's pretty funny.

About a month ago we were playing an outdoor charity gig at a strip mall. A pretty sizable crowd had gathered, and everything was going just fine. We were about 4 songs into our set and feeling pretty confident because we had played some new songs pretty well.

So we started our next song and I'm playing rhythm (guitar) just kickin' back and all of a sudden I feel something licking my leg. So, I turn around and there's this big German Shepard standing right behind me. I'm thinking, he seems to be friendly, no big deal. So I turned back around and continued to play. A few seconds later I turned back around to see what my new friend was up to. Well, I guess he wasn't to happy with my playing because he was proceeding to pull my guitar cord out the amp. Well, I stopped him in the nick of time and everthing was cool. Ever since then, every gig we've played has had something as equally bizarre happen. It must be the curse of the German Shepard :P

I'm sure some of you more seasoned veterans have some pretty humorous stories. Would love to hear them.

P.S. We're playing a gig for a bunch of nurses tonight. Will the curse continue? Stay tuned!

Our German Shepherd may be related to that dog. Anytime I try to water in the back yard, she goes for the hose- particularly when it's moving (coiling the damn thing up takes forever). I thought it was just a puppy thing for awhile, but she's 6 years old now, and she still does it. Needless to say, I immobilize her when I get out my electric hedge trimmer. Good thing she's an outdoor dog- now I know what would happen if she was in the house when I got out my guitar cord!

Don't let any of those nurses lick your leg. :D

Once when I was in grad school I was practicing with a play-along CD and noticed my roomate's cocker spaniel was sitting in the doorway, apparently listening. I continued playing and when I looked again the dog was gone but he had left a steaming little pile on the carpet.

Everybody's a critic..............

The quality of the gig is proportionate to the number of dogs and small children in the audience. ;):D

My wost gig ever had small children, animals, 100 degrees, outdoors and a guy suited up as McGruff the Crime Dog hovering in front of (i guess you'd call it a) stage. Pay...$0.00. Drummer forgot his cymbals and my family came. B) :D Oh...those were the days!

The quality of the gig is proportionate to the number of dogs and small children in the audience.

Amen to that!!!

Of course, I just had a party at my gig last week and we had pleny of kids (mine and others) and a dog(one of the waitresses' pets) roaming around...and it was a lot of fun...so....I'm not sure about this equation at this point in my life! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

My brother and I used to practice in an old garage at a house we used to rent. Drums and guitar and a half inch of plywood to seperate the noise from the rest of the neighborhood. Once we ended up playing background music for a memorial service (unintentionally. One of the guests informed us of it after he came in to literally pull the plug) and we had our house "blessed" to "rid it of the demons that were within" by some roaming street lady with a bible in her hand.

Gigs haven't been as interesting.

I have a German shepherd, too. She is only 9, but the back legs have gone bad (the vet says it is spinal degeneration) and I guess we will have to put her down before too long. She has been a wonderful pet.

She soaks up the music, though. Her bed is behind a sofa, and is right next to the L and R speakers - they play right into her ears. She tolerates the liveliest Lee Morgan solo without missing a beat.

She will howl if I play my tenor next to her.

When I was a kid, we had cats and they were terrified of the sax. But my wife had a horrible cat that would hiss and scratch at you whenever you approached. However, if I played my tenor next to it, this wierd cat would rub around my ankles in a very friendly way. Odd feline!

I have a German shepherd, too. She is only 9, but the back legs have gone bad (the vet says it is spinal degeneration) and I guess we will have to put her down before too long. She has been a wonderful pet.

She soaks up the music, though. Her bed is behind a sofa, and is right next to the L and R speakers - they play right into her ears. She tolerates the liveliest Lee Morgan solo without missing a beat.

She will howl if I play my tenor next to her.

When I was a kid, we had cats and they were terrified of the sax. But my wife had a horrible cat that would hiss and scratch at you whenever you approached. However, if I played my tenor next to it, this wierd cat would rub around my ankles in a very friendly way. Odd feline!

I am no vet but I have done a lot of research into GSD's and this sounds like it is this:

Degenerative Myelopathy

This condition is relatively common among GSDs. It can appear in a young dog, but generally appears from middle age. The degeneration occurs over time, beginning with hind limb weakness. Eventually other weakness can occur, including the lower portion of the esopheogus, which makes complete swallowing difficult and can lead to recurrent pneumonias. Although initial signs resemble hip dysplasia, in actuality, it is the degeneration of the spinal cord rather than hip joints.

Thanks for your remarks, Shrugs. It seems that Lisa (our dog) has precisely what you describe. It's real sad to see this happen to an animal that has been so lively and fiesty in an enjoyable way. So far, the esopheogus problem has not shown any signs of developing. Apart from the weakness of the back legs, everything else is A-1, including a lively barking session if anyone arrives at the door. She wolfs down her food, and still wants any chocolate that we eat. We will just have to see how she goes. I don't think that she's in any pain. I did see, on a vet website, that a dog can be given 75 mg of aspirin (this is the dosage given to human heart patients who are on a course of a low dose of it) if it's in pain.

Hey, I love that album cover! You can't go wrong with a German shepherd, a bass saxophone and a bass clarinet.