Awesome Storm along Colorado's Front Range

Being a Pip is a full-time trip!

No man, this was in 1983, when I was living in Albuquerque, I went to Gunnison w/a group led by one Laney McDonald, an ex-Chicagoan pianist/singer who did a "lite" jazz/R&B trip. What club it was, I don't remember, but it was a "jazzy" bar. The hotel they put us up in shared a parking lot with the club. Walking from the room to the club was like being in a real-life Golden Circle cover.

As for Quartet Out travelling, yeah, we'd love to. All it takes is a coordinated schedule so we can make enough along the way and back to not LOSE money, and that's where it gets tricky. To bring a band like ours into a club for one or two nights without having anything in between is most likely a losing proposition, unless the club has a really generous budget. But get a string of these things set up, a circuit, and it becomes more feasable. Of course, concerts and other venues are always alternatives. Bottom line - if we can do it w/o losing money, we're game if the scheduling is far enough in advance. If anybody has a plan, let me know. I'm reasonable, practical, and a real Pip to deal with...

Sorry to throw the thread off topic, but you asked!

Parkertown, I am sooo envious! :angry::g

Atlanta has had a strange winter as well...very cold until the last several weeks, now well above average...with it being cold for so long, there was not even the threat of a snowflake outside of the North Georgia mountains, and I think this would be the first winter in the 9 years here of no flurries even! (have gotten a few in late march in the past though-but it is going to be in the mid 70's tomorrow...not to rub it in or anything! :D )

Scott,

I'm down in SW Colorado but some friends of ours in Bailey emailed photos that look exactly like that. Now that's Colorado snow! ;)

Where are you in SW Colorado? I reside in Pagosa. I was in Colorado Springs a few days before it started honking on the front range.I'm glad the area is getting the moisture.I'm also glad that I didn't have to travel through it.

How far is Parkertown from Gunnison? I played a weekend there in January once, and the warmest it ever got was -22F. The snow was up over everybody's head. I dug it for a weekend, but I don't know if I could live in it.

OTOH, it beats the hell out of tornados!

Gunnison is a place where you can really freeze your huevos off! Another one that comes to mind is Alamosa.

No man, this was in 1983, when I was living in Albuquerque, I went to Gunnison w/a group led by one Laney McDonald, an ex-Chicagoan pianist/singer who did a "lite" jazz/R&B trip.

Jim,

We were in Santa Fe until 1981. Just wondering where you played in Albuquerque and if you ever drove up north to Santa Fe to play? There was a pretty cool recording studio in Cerrios or Galisteo(?), south of Santa Fe. I knew a few jazz cats who did some work there.

Mmmmm...steaks marinating....if not for the husband/wife reunion thing, I'd be over for dinner! ;)

Ron, I lived in Albuqueque from spring 1982-summer 1984. I played in a wide assortment of groups, ranging from kinda "commercial" blues bands, to the Albuquerque Symphony (one gig only, they did "Ebony Concerto" and needed saxophonists) to the Albuquerque Jazz Orchestra (or as I called it, The Garlic Band, due to it's being the AJO), to everything in between - rodeos, shows, society bands, grungy "non-commercial" jazz groups, pretty much everything. Big fish in a small pond, you could say. Played at Danbi's, the Cooperage, some club over by the university with the beautiful soul Jesse Sawyer (R.I.P.), and lots of other places whose names I can't remember, as well as the ever-otherworldly Madrid Jazz Festival. Did a fair amount of recording, mostly demo sessions as a hired gun, but nothing outside of Albuquerque proper. Played Santa Fe on occasion (again, can't remember names, one club was in a hotel, that much I can remember), and caught a few concerts up there. Beautiful cities, both, although the last time I was in Albuquerque (2 years ago), the apparent lack of zoning laws had really take it's toll on that city's natural charm.

Hey Scott, what's for desert? Ice cream? :D

Ron, I lived in Albuqueque from spring 1982-summer 1984. I played in a wide assortment of groups, ranging from kinda "commercial" blues bands, to the Albuquerque Symphony (one gig only, they did "Ebony Concerto" and needed saxophonists) to the Albuquerque Jazz Orchestra (or as I called it, The Garlic Band, due to it's being the AJO), to everything in between - rodeos, shows, society bands, grungy "non-commercial" jazz groups, pretty much everything. Big fish in a small pond, you could say. Played at Danbi's, the Cooperage, some club over by the university with the beautiful soul Jesse Sawyer (R.I.P.), and lots of other places whose names I can't remember, as well as the ever-otherworldly Madrid Jazz Festival. Did a fair amount of recording, mostly demo sessions as a hired gun, but nothing outside of Albuquerque proper. Played Santa Fe on occasion (again, can't remember names, one club was in a hotel, that much I can remember), and caught a few concerts up there. Beautiful cities, both, although the last time I was in Albuquerque (2 years ago), the apparent lack of zoning laws had really take it's toll on that city's natural charm.

The ever-otherworldly Madrid Jazz festival. Boy, did you nail that! Good memory. :D The Madrid Blues Festival is a pretty spacey happening too. You could have played the bar at La Fonda on the Plaza in Santa Fe. They used to have jazz once in a while. From the Albuquerque Symphony to the rodeo. A day in the life of a New Mexico Jazzman! B)