Bob Mintzer Big Band

Durium

BOB MINTZER BIG BAND

0131705.jpg

The DMP CD The First Decade of Bob Mintzer Big Band has been released more then 10 years ago, but is still a remarkable productions containing tracks from the first 10 years of this great big band.

I heard this CD for the first time and was impressed by the clear transparant sound of it, and I'm anxious to find more recordings of this great band. Suggestions welcome !

Keep swinging

Durium

BOB MINTZER BIG BAND

0131705.jpg

The DMP CD The First Decade of Bob Mintzer Big Band has been released more then 10 years ago, but is still a remarkable productions containing tracks from the first 10 years of this great big band.

I heard this CD for the first time and was impressed by the clear transparant sound of it, and I'm anxious to find more recordings of this great band. Suggestions welcome !

Keep swinging

Durium

I have another recording from the DMP-time with this big-band. It is called Urban Contours and the sound is typical for dmp-records, very impressive and great dynamics. I bought this shortly after the release date, because someone recommended this. The music on this CD shows a strong relationsship to groove and some funky ideas. I liked (and like) this one, because they sound modern to my ears in those days. I was not very introduced to BigBand-Music in those times (and there is a lot uncharted land in this theme for me...)... and this Bob Mintzer was that much different to the things i normally combinded to BigBand-Music in those times (well it was 1989/90). And there was another point of view to this CD: I used this as a kind of reference for sound recording, when we had some listening-sessions. The music "jumped" out of the speakers directly to your ears with that strong, crisp and clear sound. Well... today we are more used to that sound, but in those days it was a real exciting experience!

Maybe this link can be useful for Bob Mintzer (he did a lot of dmp-recordings...) and to the dmp-recordings, too: http://www.dmprecords.com/index.html . I have soem other dmp-CDs in my collection, if there is some interest, i can select them and give you some impressions.

with regards

Mr. Bassman

the Urban Contours as well as the processor Spectrum gets another "thumbs up" from my side and as Mr.B I have it since it has been release 1988/89.

If you like his BigBand Arrangements you should try to get the Jeton (now Bell records) Lightnin' from Klaus Weiss where Mintzer was a main Arranger for.

Cheers, Tjobbe

If you like his BigBand Arrangements you should try to get the Jeton (now Bell records) Lightnin' from Klaus Weiss where Mintzer was a main Arranger for.

Cheers, Tjobbe

For a small sidestep :g .... The "Lightnin'" from Klaus Weiss was an outtake in BFT #42.... but I can recommend this, too.... in case of the Mintzer BigBand-recordings. I was not thinking that far, when i noticed this thread.

with regards

Mr. Bassman