Arthur Rubinstein Later Recordings

Tom 1960

Hi guys. I realise we have a number of classical music fans on this forum. So I figured it was worth the effort to post here on this forum. I'm presently listening to Arthur Rubinstein's performances of Chopin. "Ballades, Scherzos and Tarantelle" on the RCA Red Seal label recorded in the late 1950's. The performances are awesome and the sonics, incredible. Now I realise, some of his best performances are on his earlier recordings. That said, at the moment I'm interested in his later recordings strictly because of the sonics. So play along with me for the moment and through out a few recommendations for his later recordings which in your mind are still worthy performances. Thanks.

Well his recordings of Chopin's Nocturnes are definitely worth seeking out. They hold up well in terms of performance and sound. I have the complete version that was re-issued on RCA on cd back in the early 80's. I'm sure they have re-mastered it by now.

Available at yourmusic.com (I think you're a yourmusic guy, Tom, IIRC). His recording of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is also available at yourmusic.com, and it is very well reviewed in the Penguin Guide (awarded a highly coveted rosette, I believe).

I've got that set of Nocturnes too. Wish I had a better mastering.

I'm remembering a late recording of the Schubert B-flat Sonata, D. 960, very fondly. The record seems to have gotten away from me, and I'm not sure how I'd react to it now.

There's a wonderful late recording of the Bach-Busoni Chaconne too.

And in chamber music, the Brahms Op. 25 Piano Quartet with members of the Guarneri Quartet is very fine. This is coming from someone who doesn't even LIKE the Guarneri Quartet.

I've got that set of Nocturnes too. Wish I had a better mastering.

See here.

Oh sweet! Thanks for info. Ron. Yes, I'm already a member of yourmusic.com It never occured to me to look on there website. Thanks for the input fellas and keep adding your thoughts if you're inclined.

Lots of great classical discs at yourmusic.com from labels like DG, Philips, Hyperion, etc.