The Fountain

sal

This was a stunning film. Saw it yesterday, and can't get it out of my head. Right now is one of those times where I just can't seem to be able to put together any cohesive thoughts that explain to people why I was so taken by the film. Its one that is going to take some time to sink in, and would definitely be well-served with a second viewing. But its got my mind spinning with its themes and beautiful imagery.

Has anybody else seen it? I imagine this is a movie that is going to divide audiences.

For me, seeing The Fountain was an experience. The story is non-linear and difficult to follow in certain parts. I imagine for alot of people, the movie isn't going to make any sense at all. The best way to approach this film is just to go to the theater and just give yourself over to experiencing what you see and hear on the screen, and don't drive yourself nuts trying to figure everything out while you are watching it. I saw the film almost 24 hours ago, and its now starting to come together for me.

The experience of watching this film (not the film itself) reminds me of when I first saw 2001: A Space Odyssy. (which was also released to divided audiences and mixed critical press back in 68)

For me, seeing The Fountain was an experience. The story is non-linear and difficult to follow in certain parts. I imagine for alot of people, the movie isn't going to make any sense at all. The best way to approach this film is just to go to the theater and just give yourself over to experiencing what you see and hear on the screen, and don't drive yourself nuts trying to figure everything out while you are watching it. I saw the film almost 24 hours ago, and its now starting to come together for me.

from what i've read it sounds as if you can supplant this view onto a thread about that new Lynch film coming. eager to see what that brings.

that aronofsky "requiem for a dream" still bothers me.

• 5 months later...

Out on DVD today. Its interesting to read more recent writings on this film....in retrospect, people are starting to realize what a special film this was.

I predict that 20 years from now, this one will be held in the same pathenon as 2001, Solaris, and other classic mind bending films dealing with themes of life, death, and beyond.