most unhip aloc

alocispepraluger102

Never heard MGM LPs, so I can't make comaprison (if you have suspicious pitched track you can send it to me just to hear).

I can only guess that Proper material was lifted from some LP...

The best sounded 1949-55 recordings are on single CD called Verve Jazz Masters compilation, dedicated to artist. They probably found original acetates/master tapes, God knows what.

Never heard MGM LPs, so I can't make comaprison (if you have suspicious pitched track you can send it to me just to hear).

I can only guess that Proper material was lifted from some LP...

The best sounded 1949-55 recordings are on single CD called Verve Jazz Masters compilation, dedicated to artist. They probably found original acetates/master tapes, God knows what.

Thanks. The MGM LPs were put out in the states, presumably while Shearing was making LPs at Capitol. There were at least seven collections, probably more. The material is all the early pre-Capitol quintet from the late 40s and early 50s (a few trio and solo sessions too):

You're Hearing George Shearing

A Shearing Caravan

I Hear Music

Touch of Genius

An Evening With GS

When Lights are Low

and ??? - some collection of all the Latin stuff from this period.

Most sound like they were transferred from 78s. There are problems throughout - "Cool Mambo" was transferred from a disc with a skip, aforementioned speed issues, etc., but they can easily be obtained in the states for short dough.

Speaking of such great and extensive discography I forgot to mention that Proper set gathered even earlier dates, such as Parlophone sides from early 1940s. These recordings are especially valuable, and they shows all influences to great artist, especially those from Teddy Wilson and Art Tatum.