Roswell Rudd & Yomo Toro- El Espiritu Jibaro

Sundog

I'm curious about this one as well. Yomo Toro is a cuatro player from Puerto Rico. Probably the best known. He was a sideman on quite a few salsa records, Willie Colon and Larry Harlow come to mind. Bobby Sanabria is a very good jazz/Latin jazz trap drummer. What are they playing or basing the music on? Salsa or Afro-Cuban forms? There have been few attempts to fuse an indigenous Puerto Rican music with jazz. Mosty plena and jazz. Records by Cortijo, Papo Vasquez , William Cepeda & Ricardo Pons come to mind. They put out records that were at least interesting, or even good. The indigenous form known as jibaro is another story. The title indicates it is "jibaro". Very little jazz and jibaro "fusions" have been attempted. A few years back Pedro Guzman, a cuatro player put out a record called "Jibaro Jazz", and its all I can name. Imo it wasn't very successful. I haven't read any comments on this one in the "latin Jazz" listserv either. Bobby Sanabria posts there quite a bit. So count me among the curious.

I'm curious about this one as well. Yomo Toro is a cuatro player from Puerto Rico. Probably the best known. He was a sideman on quite a few salsa records, Willie Colon and Larry Harlow come to mind. Bobby Sanabria is a very good jazz/Latin jazz trap drummer. What are they playing or basing the music on? Salsa or Afro-Cuban forms? There have been few attempts to fuse an indigenous Puerto Rican music with jazz. Mosty plena and jazz. Records by Cortijo, Papo Vasquez , William Cepeda & Ricardo Pons come to mind. They put out records that were at least interesting, or even good. The indigenous form known as jibaro is another story. The title indicates it is "jibaro". Very little jazz and jibaro "fusions" have been attempted. A few years back Pedro Guzman, a cuatro player put out a record called "Jibaro Jazz", and its all I can name. Imo it wasn't very successful. I haven't read any comments on this one in the "latin Jazz" listserv either. Bobby Sanabria posts there quite a bit. So count me among the curious.

Thanks for the additional insight/background. I'm going to order this one. CDU description below...

Personnel: Yomo Toro (cuatro); Roswell Rudd (trombone).

Additional personnel: Marciela Serrano, Dalia Silva, Michelle Silva, Alessandra Belloni (vocals); David Oquendo (tres); Ilmar Gavillan, Alicia Svigal (violin); Jay Collins (flute); Raul Jaurena (bandoneon); Gene Jefferson, Peter Brainin (alto saxophone); John Walsh, Mike Rodriguez (trumpet); Chris Washburne (trombone); Yeissonn Villamar, George Cables, Igor Atalita (piano); John DiMartino (organ); Alex Hernandez, Jorge Longo, Andy Eulau, Boris Kozlov (acoustic bass); Donald 'Spider' Nicks (electric bass); Wilson 'Chembo' Corniel (congas); Bobby Sanabria (bongos); Hiram 'El Pavo' Remon (percussion); Acension.

Inside-outside trombonist Roswell Rudd turns in an eclectic and exciting album with 2007's EL ESPIRITU JIBARO. The music leans toward Latin styles--with cumbia, tango, merengue, and mambo all represented--and the instrumentation, which includes cuarto (played by Yomo Toro), also reflects the overall vibe. But, as fans of Rudd would expect, there are plenty of curveballs, as EL ESPIRITU JIBARO folds in traditional jazz, free tendencies, and witty, clever flourishes to this fun recording full of great playing and top-notch ensemble work.

Thanks for the additional insight/background. I'm going to order this one. CDU description below...

Personnel: Yomo Toro (cuatro); Roswell Rudd (trombone).

Additional personnel: Marciela Serrano, Dalia Silva, Michelle Silva, Alessandra Belloni (vocals); David Oquendo (tres); Ilmar Gavillan, Alicia Svigal (violin); Jay Collins (flute); Raul Jaurena (bandoneon); Gene Jefferson, Peter Brainin (alto saxophone); John Walsh, Mike Rodriguez (trumpet); Chris Washburne (trombone); Yeissonn Villamar, George Cables, Igor Atalita (piano); John DiMartino (organ); Alex Hernandez, Jorge Longo, Andy Eulau, Boris Kozlov (acoustic bass); Donald 'Spider' Nicks (electric bass); Wilson 'Chembo' Corniel (congas); Bobby Sanabria (bongos); Hiram 'El Pavo' Remon (percussion); Acension.

Inside-outside trombonist Roswell Rudd turns in an eclectic and exciting album with 2007's EL ESPIRITU JIBARO. The music leans toward Latin styles--with cumbia, tango, merengue, and mambo all represented--and the instrumentation, which includes cuarto (played by Yomo Toro), also reflects the overall vibe. But, as fans of Rudd would expect, there are plenty of curveballs, as EL ESPIRITU JIBARO folds in traditional jazz, free tendencies, and witty, clever flourishes to this fun recording full of great playing and top-notch ensemble work.