Jimmy Rowles - Early Trios

Chas

The Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Mosaic Select includes Rowles' Liberty side which was material Rowles recorded for Nocturne in 1954 . Rowles did 10 tracks for Nocturne , all of which were issued on Fresh Sound's 3-Volume Complete Nocturne Recordings box . The Mosaic Select only has the 9 Nocturne tracks that actually came out on Liberty and offers no explanation as to why they chose to add 2 Rowles trio tracks from 1956 instead of the tenth Nocturne trio track ( done at the same session ? ) which is a version of All The Things You Are . Presumably this is because Capitol/EMI don't own the rights to Nocturne recordings that were not issued by Liberty , but I would have expected Mosaic to give us better discographical detail . In that connection , what about this trio date done for Vantage ? :

JimmyRowlesTrioJohnSimmonsFrankieCa.jpg

If I'm not mistaken , Vantage was Bob Andrews' L.A. label that issued his amateur recordings that were done live locally . Three 10-inchers , one each by , Hampton Hawes , Anthony Ortega and Pinky Winters were issued in the mid-Fifties . Some of Andrews' other recordings came out on Xanadu in the Seventies . On the 9 Vantage Rowles trio tracks ( presumably recorded live circa 1953-54 ) rhythm support is provided by John Simmons and Frankie Capp . Also , I assume this Japanese Norma issue is this music's first and only issue . Can someone here provide the discographical details that Mosaic should have ?