Prestige Swingville Series

thomastreichler

One of the more unusual recordings in the Swingville series was "The Happy Jazz Of Rex Stewart" (Swingville LP 2006; also issued as "Rex Stewart Memorial Album" on Prestige 7728, this one I have on vinyl). Does anyone know if this album has ever been reissued on cd?

Rex Stewart & Wingy Manone - "Trumpet Jive!", Prestige 24119

One of the more unusual recordings in the Swingville series was "The Happy Jazz Of Rex Stewart" (Swingville LP 2006; also issued as "Rex Stewart Memorial Album" on Prestige 7728, this one I have on vinyl). Does anyone know if this album has ever been reissued on cd?

Rex Stewart & Wingy Manone - "Trumpet Jive!", Prestige 24119

Thanks Stereojack; found it on amazon.com for $8.49.

Is that Al Sears album available?

I certainly would not start an exploration of the Swingville series with that one . It's a rather dull , uninspired record . A far better starting point is Budd Johnson's Let's Swing , with positively magisterial playing by Budd , and a fine supporting cast .

Edit : Someone should go here and grab the Hal Singer for $4.99 .

Grabbed that at the Harvard Square Newbury Comics a while back. Nice one. Their internet service is first rate as well.

I visited there today and ended up buying 15 OJCs at fire sale prices, including the Swingville Coleman Hawkins All Stars. I'm looking forward to giving it a first spin.

That Swingville Coleman Hawkins All Stars is a nice pick-up. I always love to hear Vic Dickenson..Hawk is interesting as always, and the recorded sound is excellent.

StereoJack mentioned the Red Allen in an earlier post..it's one of my favorites too. It can be found (though not easily anymore) on a two-fer

( Hot Trumpets Of Joe Newman & Henry Red Allen)