Happy Birthday Vonski!

robviti

Here's a chance to celebrate the birth of a true jazz great while he's still with us. Von Freeman is 85 years young today, and he has thankfully received renewed interest in his artistry over the past few years with a series of solid recordings on the Premonition label. I was introduced to Vonski as a teen by my brother who owned the 1972 date Doin' It Right Now on Atlantic. Unfortunately, I was too young or whatever to appreciate his talent. I've had the pleasure of seeing him perform a few times, and even got to talk to him at one of his shows. A gracious man with a memorable handshake. Anyway, if you haven't taken the time to listen to his recordings, I encourage you to do so . And if you''re lucky enough to be in Chicago and have the chance to see him live, don't hesitate.

Btw, there's several new copies of Doin' It Right Now for sale at Amazon marketplace for less than $7. The date includes Sam Jones, Jimmy Cobb, and the incomparable "young" John Young. Get it!

Happy Birthday Vonski! :party:

vonski.jpg

Guest Bill Barton

A very, very, very Happy Birthday to a true original and - not so incidentally - one of the world's nicest guys.

post-410-1191456092.jpg

Vonski at Tula's in Seattle

(photo by Bill Barton)