Ralph Bowen

Soul Stream

I guess this has been out a couple of years. However, I got it about a year ago and it's just gathered dust until recently. I put it on last week and I've been diggin' it ever since. Great shit. Nice band with Sam Yahel, John Swana, Peter Bernstein and Brian Blade. Nice tunes selection too.

I highly recommend it. It's on Criss Cross so you know it ain't cheap. But this one's worth the price.

Don't know much about Bowen, this is it for me as far as exposure. But a friend of mine who played with him on the jazz scene in Indiana brought his name up with nothing but "monster" references. So....

Ralph Bowen was one of the only permanent members of OTB (Out of the Blue). See the discography of Michael Philip Mossman on my website for details of this group's recordings.

For about 20 years he has been at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ, first as a student then as a professor. He is currently the convenor of the jazz studies program there.

http://musicweb.rutgers.edu/info/fac-bio/bowen/

Mike