John Scofield Trio in Paris

Tom Storer

John Scofield played Paris Friday night with his trio, which has Steve Swallow on bass guitar and Bill Stewart on drums. They were marvelous - a good bunch of songs, ranging from Bird's "Chi-Chi" to "Scarborough Fair" and some Sco compositions that were funkier. Beautiful solos all around, fantastic teamwork. Virtuosity in the service of art. It was engaging on all levels and sounded just wonderful. Scofield announced they are about to record a new album.

The opening act was Jim Black's AlasNoAxis. I like Black in other contexts, such as Ellery Eskelin's trio, but this was his own group... I must concur with the group's name.

Sounds like it was a great show, Tom! It looks like the trio played the Blue Note club in Milan and the Paris date, but won't be doing the rest of the European tour until November, followed up by a week at the Blue Note in NYC in December. I'd LOVE to see this trio - they're playing in Munich on Nov 16th, I may have to clear off the calendar.

Slightly off topic - The rest of this month and into October is a U.S. tour of the John Scofield Band. There are also some November dates in the U.K. supporting Tommy Smith, with Lovano, John Taylor, John Patitucci, and Bill Stewart. Also, looking at Sco's website, he did two interesting dates in August. On the 19th, appears there was a one-off with MMW in San Diego CA. And on the 16th, he did an orchestral date in Hamburg, Germany, with the Hessischer Rundfunk Orchestra.

-Erik