"The Sound of Jazz" restoration sample on YouTube

jay2b2

Mmmm.......I guess I'm not as excited as some.

I can see that the image has been softened and brightened, which looks good on a 4" Youtube screen. Like to see how it expands as the zoom function indicates to me that it lacks focus.

I played this next to my Idem DVD on a similar sized screen and I still prefer the DVD. Its darker but has more detail.

Just my 2c.

I can see that the image has been softened and brightened, which looks good on a 4" Youtube screen. Like to see how it expands as the zoom function indicates to me that it lacks focus.

I played this next to my Idem DVD on a similar sized screen and I still prefer the DVD. Its darker but has more detail.

Just my 2c.

You realize that's like comparing an mp3 to a CD right?

Just my 2c.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnwklG3hT98

What RDK said. Comparing a resized (?) and FLV compressed clip to a DVD (sure, MPEG2 = lossy compression, too) is not fair.

Edited by rockefeller center

Just my 2c.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnwklG3hT98

What RDK said. Comparing a resized (?) and FLV compressed clip to a DVD (sure, MPEG2 = lossy compression, too) is not fair.

OK, so displaying a clip on Youtube doesn't prove whether its an improvement? I also assume that watching Youtube clips is no replacement for watching a DVD.

I'll wait for the DVD before I get excited.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll wait for the DVD before I get excited.

Well, I don't think I'd hold my breath, if I were you-- this may take a while. :D

Sorry to resurrect his thread yet again, but I did want to let everyone know that I have now turned up an alternate audio source, recorded during the original broadcast, which will be incorporated with the video restoration.

I wish that web encoding didn't require so much in the way of audio and video quality compromises, but if you want to get a rough idea of the results so far, I've re-done the "Fine and Mellow" clip once again, and you can find it here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8W5_ygP1hNE

Compared to the "F & M" clip they're hawking on the "Ultimate Billie Holiday" DVD, I think progress is being made... :)

-Kevin