Old 110 film - calling all photographers!!

skeith

anyone still have negatives from cameras that used 110 film?

I have not found anyone who will develop it unless for an exorbitant price.

This film is about half the size of 35mm and previous prints were not exactly pristine - is this film or the cameras that used it probably inherently inferior and therefore any prints would not exactly be sharp?

Edited by skeith

I'd say just bring it anyplace that offers real "Kodak" processing (now going under the Qualex or Kodalux names).

What they do is they ship it to Kodak, in Rochester, to be processed.

Kodak has been tearing down buildings like mad here, so you may want to contact Kodak directly first. They may not even have the facilities to do it themselves anymore.

By the way, 110 film is less 1//2 the size of a 35mm negative. Your problem with quality is that you may be printing too large of image. Otherwise the place that you took it to be process and printed did a bad job. Kodak itself, alway did a great job.

Edited by marcello

If you are talking about negatives (as opposed to undeveloped film), I gather that you are looking for someone to print them. I had a lot of negatives (of various sizes) in my catch-all closet, but I also have a decent Epson scanner that is equipped to scan (black&white or color) negatives (and invert them). Works very well, actually, and once you have the scans, you can print them yourself.

Have I been helpful or am I misunderstanding your problem?

If you are talking about negatives (as opposed to undeveloped film), I gather that you are looking for someone to print them. I had a lot of negatives (of various sizes) in my catch-all closet, but I also have a decent Epson scanner that is equipped to scan (black&white or color) negatives (and invert them). Works very well, actually, and once you have the scans, you can print them yourself.

I have a scanner but I doubt it can print from negatives (and yes I am talking about negatives not undeveloped film)- do you know if all scanners can do this? I also have the impression that printing from negatives gives a superior image to scanning negatives and then printing from them - do you have an opinion on that?

anyway, I don't want to buy a new scanner just for a few rolls of negatives.

But thanks for the creative idea.

Edited by skeith

I'd say just bring it anyplace that offers real "Kodak" processing (now going under the Qualex or Kodalux names).

What they do is they ship it to Kodak, in Rochester, to be processed.

Kodak has been tearing down buildings like mad here, so you may want to contact Kodak directly first. They may not even have the facilities to do it themselves anymore.

By the way, 110 film is less 1//2 the size of a 35mm negative. Your problem with quality is that you may be printing too large of image. Otherwise the place that you took it to be process and printed did a bad job. Kodak itself, alway did a great job.

thanks Marcello for your helpful response

I have a scanner but I doubt it can print from negatives (and yes I am talking about negatives not undeveloped film)- do you know if all scanners can do this? I also have the impression that printing from negatives gives a superior image to scanning negatives and then printing from them - do you have an opinion on that?

anyway, I don't want to buy a new scanner just for a few rolls of negatives.

But thanks for the creative idea.

Certainly every generation away from the original negative would yield a poorer quality print and you're really starting with a small negative and the larger print you make....the fuzzier it becomes....that said, thank god it not one of those disc negatives that had about a dozen pencil erasure size negs on a cardboard wheel....what a mess....actually the size is pretty close! I'll ask my lab if they can print them and I'll pm you.

Mark~