Bill Charlap Trio @ Jazz Showcase (Chicago)

mgraham333

I saw the Bill Charlap trio at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago on 9/14/03. I stayed for both of the evening sets and was very impressed with their playing.

I was familiar only with their Blue Note CDs and was expecting a very mellow and laid back performance. But these guys can cook when they want to. Peter Washington (bass) had a solo in a Cole Porter number that made MY fingers hurt. Kenny Washington's (drums & no relation to Peter) brush work was like that of a master painter.

Bill Charlap has a wonderful touch. I had a great view of his hands the whole night and his fingers seem to dance above the keys.

Everyone on stage seemed to be having a pretty good time. It was the final evening of their week at the Jazz Showcase and they went out with a bang.

I had a chance to chat briefly with each of the band members (getting cds autographed) and each of them seemed like very nice guys.

I hope to seem them play again sometime.

I've had the pleasure of seeing him Bill Charlap several times at Shanghai Jazz in Madison, NJ (he comes there often) and it's alwasy rewarding. I've seem him do it solo, with Peter Washington and with a friend of his on sax. He does have a great touch and a wonderful feeling for the standards. Occasionally, he explains why he's playing what he's playing and why he does it a certain way.

I saw the same trio at the Village Vanguard a couple of years ago and as you say, they can turn the heat way up. The Washingtons are one of the greatest bass&drums teams extant, in my book - I was seated in front of the drums and Kenny W. completely blew my mind with his incredible control, crisp sound and ferocious swing. Definitely a topnotch group.