BFT 53 - the answers

John B

Here are the answers to BFT #53. I really enjoyed reading everyone's comments. Thank you to all who took the time to post their thoughts. I'll try to find some time soon to post a few thoughts on why I chose each track.

I'm still hoping that more of the people who signed up will find the time to post a few thoughts in the discussion thread, even after the answers are all posted.

1. Merit Hemmingson - "Domaredansen", Merit - Queen of Swedish Hammond Folk Groove (Amigo Musik) 1973

i92142sbvn7.jpg

Merit Hemmingson, Kalle Almlof, Sven-Ake Erixon, Gunnar Westbergh, Bjorn Stabi, Jan Kling, Bengt Palmers

2. Exploding Customer - "Mr BP", Live at Tampere Jazz Happening (Ayler) 2004

h13384gjtm0.jpg

Martin Kuchen, Tomas Hallonsten, Benjamin Quigley, Kjell Nordeson

3. Evan Parker and Stan Tracey - "Maggot", Suspensions and Anticipations (Psi) 2004

i17793o3nji.jpg

4. Rabih Abou-Khalil - "Ma Muse M'abuse", Morton's Foot (Enja) 2003

g27597ylzsd.jpg

Rabih Abou-Khalil, Gabriele Mirabassi, Luciano Biondini, Michel Godard, Gavino Murgia, Jarrod Cagwin

More to follow tomorrow.

Edited by John B

I actually have in my collection, number 4, still couldn't spot it. Will try to find number 3 the few EP stuff i ever had to listen were a little too abstract for my tastes

He has recorded two albums with Stan Tracey. The other album, Crevulations, was recorded live after the studio set was recorded. I might prefer it to the disc I used for the BFT. They would both be good purchases if you are looking for less abstract EP.

i26264io8jy.jpg

Edited by John B

5. Triptych Myth - "Pooch (for Wilber Morris)", The Beautiful (Aum Fidelity) 2005

h04786npsb2.jpg

Cooper-Moore, Tom Abbs, Chad Taylor

6. Chris McGergor's Brotherhood of Breath - "Mra" (Neon) 1970

i57461zrwoe.jpg

Chris McGregor, Malcolm Griffiths, Nick Evans, Mongezi Feza, Mark Charig, Harry Becket, Dudu Pukwana, Ronnie Beer, Alan Skidmore, Harry Miller, Louis Moholo, Mike Osborne, John Surman

7. Brett Sroka - "Happy-Go-Lucky-Ism", Hearsay (Fresh Sound New Talent) 2002

f83365eq0c9.jpg

Brett Sroka, Avishai Cohen, Aaron Stewart, Jason Moran, John Sullivan, Eric Harland

8. Reptet - "Bad Reed Blues", Do This! (Monktail) 2006

h34923z86nt.jpg

Samantha Boshnack, Ben O'Shea, Izaak Mills, Tobi Stone, Benjamin Verdier, John Ewing

13. Joost Buis - "MIR", Astronotes (Data) 2004

data041_210.jpg

Felicity Provan, Joost Buis, Jan Willem van der Ham, Tobias Delius, Frans Vermeerssen, Paul Pallesen, Cor Fuhler, Wilbert De Joode, Alan Purves, Michael Vatcher

14. Atomic - "Re-Lee", The Bikini Tapes (Jazzland) 2005

i26408wq719.jpg

Frederik Ljungkvist, Magnus Broo, Havard Wiik, Ingebrigt Haker-Flaten, Paal Nilssen-Love

Paal Nilsen Love that i singled out in my comments is one heck of a drummer that i saw two years ago with the formation The Thing which the heaviest jazz gig i ever attended.

Familiar also with mister Ljunkvist that i saw with his formation Yun Kan 5 this summer he was aloso one of my coup de coeur of the last Montreal jazz fest.

Edited by Van Basten II

Thanks for the answers--a fair number of familiar players but not always in contexts I'd expect (like the Zappa cover for 2 pianos!). The one new name to me is the organist on the first track--anything to add about her?

I don't know a lot about her. I heard a few sound clips from this album and ordered a copy. The liner notes state that she started out playing more straight-ahead jazz. She came to NYC and took lessons from Joe Zawinul and Lalo Schifrin, and sat in with Miles' band once. Her own albums focused more on taking traditional Swedish folk melodies and arranging them in a very funky, groovy style.

Some of the tracks reminded me of a proto-Medeski Martin and Wood style jamband or an homage to the Jack McDuff style greasy-organ trio. I thought it might be interesting to see what kind of a reaction this track would get on this site, in particular. I'd be really curious to hear what some of the real B-3 heads would say after spinning this one.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm sorry that I didn't participate in your BFT. You had tracks from a couple of my favorite albums (Tryptich Myth, Joost Buis). Since we apparently have similar taste on some things I will have to check out the other stuff you listed. Thanks.