Los Angeles - Wadad's Creatve Music Festival at REDCAT

Adam

http://redcat.org/season/0708/mus/creative.php

January 18-19, 2008

Alpert Artist

CalArts Creative Music Festival

Featuring the Art Ensemble of Chicago—Great Black Music— "Ancient to the Future"

Revered for unbounded musical daring, radical innovation, and a sustained exploration of black music forms, the fabled Art Ensemble of Chicago makes its first Los Angeles projection since 1990 in this year's edition of the Creative Music Festival. The festival opens with performances by Alpert Award-winning violinist Mark Feldman with pianist Sylvie Courvoisier, and Dwight Trible's Sacred Urban Echoes featuring vocalist and poet Kamau Daaood. Jubilant music and poetry that spans spiritual expression, jazz and the avant-garde.

Fri Jan 18 | 8:30 pm

Mark Feldman and Sylvie Courvoisier

Dwight Trible's Sacred Urban Echoes with T.I.M.E.

"Feldman's delivery has the brio of the concert violinist, the verve of the jazz improviser and a tone to die for." Financial Times

Sat Jan 19 | 8:30 pm

Art Ensemble of Chicago

"A band without viable competition, the AEoC can clearly go on forever." The Evening Standard (London)

Curated by Wadada Leo Smith. Funded in part by generous grants from The Herb Alpert Foundation and The Phaedrus Foundation.

• 2 weeks later...

up - this coming weekend. I'm going Saturday, but I realized I also have tickets to the Monterey Jazz Festival tour at UCLA on Friday night the 18th. Just due to money, I'll probably end up there. That has Terence Blanchard, James Moody, and others.

I think I might be more interested in Feldman & Couvoisier on Friday though. I'm sure they will play some Zorn compositions.