New England Jazz Show Canceled

zootsi

Hi people, I am a new member here, and I just want to express my disappointment at the canceling of WNCS's Jazz Spectrum program on Sunday nights. WNCS (aka 'the point') is based out of Montpelier Vermont, and covers much of Vermont and New Hampshire. Jazz Spectrum is almost a tradition up here in the North Country, and the show had a lot of loyal followers. WNCS also canceled 'The Global Jam', a world music show that preceeded Jazz Spectrum on Sunday night. The air time is now devoted to progressive/indy rock, which is what the station plays 24/7. Both of these great programs were pulled Sunday before last, with no prior announcement. If you live in the area, and care about good music, please contact the station as I have.

Guest Bill Barton

Hi people, I am a new member here, and I just want to express my disappointment at the canceling of WNCS's Jazz Spectrum program on Sunday nights. WNCS (aka 'the point') is based out of Montpelier Vermont, and covers much of Vermont and New Hampshire. Jazz Spectrum is almost a tradition up here in the North Country, and the show had a lot of loyal followers. WNCS also canceled 'The Global Jam', a world music show that preceeded Jazz Spectrum on Sunday night. The air time is now devoted to progressive/indy rock, which is what the station plays 24/7. Both of these great programs were pulled Sunday before last, with no prior announcement. If you live in the area, and care about good music, please contact the station as I have.

Whoa! Blast from the past time... I initiated Jazz Spectrum in 1977 on WNCS and hosted the show for 13 years. My old friend George Thomas at Vermont Public Radio (who also hosted Global Jam) let me know last week about the shows' demise. Sad news but not unexpected. The writing was on the wall way back when WNCS became "The Point." The station was originally locally owned. Since being sold to a regional media company in the late 1980s (as I recall) things have been moving toward the lowest common denominator. In the old days 'NCS was an anomaly: a commercial station that actually gave it's specialty program producers full artistic control. R.I.P.

Bill, thanks for your very informative reply. Commercial radio gets worse by the month. Thank god for VPR - I listen to George almost every night. The syndicated 'American Routes' out of Louisiana is also a great listen. Both New Hampshire and Vermont public radio carries it.

Guest Bill Barton

Bill, thanks for your very informative reply. Commercial radio gets worse by the month. Thank god for VPR - I listen to George almost every night. The syndicated 'American Routes' out of Louisiana is also a great listen. Both New Hampshire and Vermont public radio carries it.

You're welcome. Where in NH do you live? I was surprised that you could pick up NCS over the air.

You're welcome. Where in NH do you live? I was surprised that you could pick up NCS over the air.

Hi Bill,

I live a little south of Lebanon. NCS now has a station out of White River.

Guest Bill Barton

Hi Bill,

I live a little south of Lebanon. NCS now has a station out of White River.

Ah ha! That answers that question. By the way, I grew up in Cornish Flat.