Neil Gaiman's The Sandman

Well...now that you mention it, I've got all the issues (in graphic novel reprints), plus the Death miniseries graphic novel. I got rid of most of my comic books and such, so I guess I rate this one pretty high. I also like Gaiman's novels. And (this one's strange) a badly tattered Death t-shirt hanging in the closet. I was wearing it when I took my cat Godzilla in to the vet to be put down years ago, and I don't have the heart to toss it...

Well...now that you mention it, I've got all the issues (in graphic novel reprints), plus the Death miniseries graphic novel. I got rid of most of my comic books and such, so I guess I rate this one pretty high. I also like Gaiman's novels. And (this one's strange) a badly tattered Death t-shirt hanging in the closet. I was wearing it when I took my cat Godzilla in to the vet to be put down years ago, and I don't have the heart to toss it...

I have the last three volumes to get, I'm still reading the series right now. I kind of read it off and on, but I'm on "Fables And Reflections, Vol. 6." It's a pretty big volume so it's taking me a little while to read through it.

So far my favorites have been "Season Of Mists, Vol. 4" and "The Doll's House, Vol. 2." Both are minature masterpieces really. Gaiman is such a great writer.

SANDMAN_SEASON_OF.jpg

SANDMAN_DOLLS_HOUSE.jpg

Edited by bluemonk

always felt it was for boyfriendless young ladies who owned cat(s) and listened to tori amos.

this impression was made from having read just about all of them.

I really like the series. I don't read it all the time and I'm actually still reading the series, but I thought it is a very imaginative story. Granted, it's not for everyone, but I really have liked what I have read so far.

Read (and still have) all the issues as they came out, but this one fell off my radar and I don't think about it much anymore. Great stuff, but I eventually tired of it.

As with anything, you're going to get tired of it I think, but if you take it a little at a time, it's a wonderful read.

always felt it was for boyfriendless young ladies who owned cat(s) and listened to tori amos.

Well, I've owned several cats, and I've never had a boyfriend. But I draw the line at tori amos...

Well, I've owned several cats, and I've never had a boyfriend. But I draw the line at tori amos...

Well there's always going to be criticism when dealing with art, but I thought Sandman was a brilliantly written series even if it was a comic. It's some of the best damn comic books I've ever read.

I agree. Very few comics (at least in the United States) have maintained the level of sophistication found in Sandman, and very few comic book writers even make the effort, preferring to clean up in the fanboy superhero marketplace. The best of the American marketplace back when I was still reading comics was dominated by Gaiman and Alan Moore.