Ron Blake's new solo CD

Soul Stream

Its a real nice disc! Ron is in typical excellent form, and Joey DeFrancesco TEARS it up. The guitar playing by David Gilmore was a nice treat, as I had never heard him play before, and he plays quite well on this album. There is a trumpeter whose name escapes me who I had also never heard before, and he does really well on the few songs he appears on. My only complaint is that Christian McBride and Greg Hutchinson, two of my favorite rhythm players, are confined to a supportive role for the most part, and aren't really given much space to show off their superior skills on their respective instruments. Oh well....I guess they don't have anything to prove anyways.

The material is by Stanley & Tommy Turrentine, Charles Earland and Grover Washington Jr. I think Ron does a great job with the material, both in selection and arrangement. It gives him a wide palette to show off his incredible improvising abilities and monster chops. I recommend this album pretty much everyone.