Chris Calloway, R.I.P.

DukeCity

I received word that vocalist Chris Calloway, daughter of Cab Calloway, died Thursday. She was a fine vocalist and entertainer. I had the pleasure of playing a few gigs with her (she spent the last several years of her life living in Santa Fe), and even though she was often in great physical discomfort from bone cancer, she never failed to deliver.

In addition to her own talents, she was a fascinating link to great jazz figures of earlier generations. She spent the last 20 years of her father's life touring with him and his band, and she had TONS of stories.

R.I.P.

07152006_Chris_Calloway_img_3320_crop-001.jpg

i am deeply saddened by this awful news. i had not seen Chris in many years but was friends with her decades ago when she was living in L.A. and practicing Buddhism. i especially remember a fun evening we shared in NY in 1976 for a bi-centennial celebration when we did a show together at the St. Moritz Hotel with her performing with her Dad and Jon Lucien on the show as well!! she was such a dynamic person who gave lots of love on a daily basis.

my deepest condolences go out to her family and friends. i remember her son, Yusef, when he was a young boy.

Valerie Bishop