Dave McKenna

thomastreichler

Recently I have been listening to a lot of Dave McKenna. An all time favourite of mine, he is one of a handful of pianists who sound best playing solo (others in this category that come to mind are Art Tatum, Earl Hines, Michel Petrucciani). He is all over the piano, producing a thick carpet of sound in taking advantage of the unique possibility of this most orchestral of all instruments to play ten notes at once. He has a very special, instantly recognizable touch. Sometimes one gets the impression that he is playing with three hands: on the bottom there is this rollicking, forward pushing bass line, in the middle register he is throwing in occasional chords and in the upper register there are these sparkling single note lines. By way of contrast his left hand occasionally is strumming à la Garner (but with a entirely different rhythmic feel) or striding. And abve all he is swinging like mad. McKenna is specializing in medleys combining tunes with a common theme: For example songs with the word "shadow" or "dream" or "star" in their titles. There is also an album where on half of the disc he is playing tunes associated with streets (like "Broadway", "Basin Street Blues", "On Green Dolphin Street", "Street Of Dreams" and so on).

I have almost every solo album of Dave McKenna and there is not one that is less than very good, most are excellent.

Any further comments and / or favourite recordings?

Steve, Dave's son reports that his father has been in the hospital for this past week, having been admitted with a severe urinary tract infection. Fortunately, the infection now seems to be almost completely out of his system, but they discovered a blood clot in his right arm on Wednesday, and he is now on medication (thinners) to dissolve the clot. They also found a lump in his right shoulder area. "It could be no cause for worry," Steve wrote yesterday, "or it could be an indication the cancer has spread (he was diagnosed with lung cancer roughly a year ago). We will know the results of the biopsy in the next day or two."

If you wish to lift Dave's spirit, Steve urges you to send him a note or card to:

Dave McKenna

285 Pine Grove Rd

State College, PA 16801

Thanks, Chris, for the information. This is bad news. I did not know that Dave is suffering from lung cancer. I just did notice that he has not performed anymore for several years now (or so it seemed to me). I will definitely send him a card and wish him all the best for a quick recovery.

His changes to Arlen's "When the Sun Comes Out" on David X. Young's "Jazz Loft"* were so good I had to cop them. Zoot Sims follows his melody statement in great (and probably drunken) form.

*a must have for fans of folks like Jimmy Raney, Bob Brookmeyer, Jim Hall, McKenna, Zoot, Pepper Adams, and others. They are in relaxed, jamming mode. Raney plays up a storm, especially on "Spuds" ("Idaho" changes). Young's paintings, handsomely reproduced, including those of some of the above-mentioned, are also very much worth the price of the ticket. Artistry all around.

Hi Chris. Been a while.

Edited by fasstrack

The McKenna/DeFranco duo is well worth having. You won't be disappointed.

additional question from me (ignorant to mckenna so far)... there is a mckenna / buddy de franco concord cd i see a lot in the bins overhere? do i need that one? i mean if he's best solo, a duo with a horn player can't be that bad?)

McKenna was resident at the Copley Plaza for many years. I saw him many times (but not often enough in retrospect). You could sit at the piano and nurse a beer or two if funds were short. If one could only go back now...

I saw him in Boston once, at the Copley Hotel. He was great. I very much hope he returns to full health.

McKenna was resident at the Copley Plaza for many years. I saw him many times (but not often enough in retrospect). You could sit at the piano and nurse a beer or two if funds were short. If one could only go back now...

Yes, in retrospect I find it hard to believe that I only went to see him at the Copley Plaza ONCE---especially since it was virtually free. Oh well.... :(