Jump to content

Niko

Members
  • Posts

    5,134
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Niko

  • Birthday 04/29/1981

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://
  • ICQ
    0

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    The Netherlands

Recent Profile Visitors

22,130 profile views

Niko's Achievements

Experienced

Experienced (11/14)

  • Collaborator Rare
  • Posting Machine Rare
  • First Post
  • Dedicated Rare
  • Week One Done

Recent Badges

  1. No idea if that's the only problem, but there is a missing "i" in how you spelled mikeweildscographer... curious about the additional sessions... (and Plas Johnson should be added to the lineup of Something's Happening in the Bryant discography as well)
  2. Me neither! As a side note, one forum I visit has ads only for nonregistered guests... Given the number of guests we have here, exempting us members from the ads might make little difference financially... Just an idea, I have no problem with being exposed to ads either
  3. A few years ago, someone wrote a book about him and since then he's pretty well documented, see also wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Freeman_Lee
  4. clearly off-topic but one of the funnier aspects of those recent events around swarms of AI agents hacking different places is that, evidently, AI has discovered internet message boards as an amazing way of communicating, here is a summary of events around the "hugging face attack" that was coordinated from a message board on which AIs exchanged 70000 messages over the course of a few days https://www.dwarkesh.com/p/openai-huggingface while humans have largely given up on message boards... with a few exceptions like us...
  5. Yes, that's even mentioned in the liner notes for one track in the box.... (unlike the second pianist, Al Neil, who is announced by Pepper some place), Pepper often played tenor in the late 50s (e.g. also on Art Pepper Plus Eleven) so they assume it's him
  6. Looks nice, playing that now, too...
  7. No idea whether the plan was to make it temporary... agreed regarding Bandcamp!
  8. I believe it happened several months back already.... I guess it makes sense to have the stuff available occasionally (was it the second or even the third time?) to familiarize more people with the music... who might now buy a few things... I must admit I hardly explored the catalogue this time around, the first time was different...
  9. Johnny Hammond Smith - Look Out! this one's on youtube, but strangely enough, the pre-internet crowd never felt like reissuing it, it's equally nice as many of his other albums
  10. "from what I understand his heroin addiction contributed to him landing in Las Vegas" I read that story, too, and always found it a bit incomplete... why didn't Chet Baker and Art Pepper end up in Las Vegas? Generally, most of the heroes of West Coast Jazz had a tough time recording small group jazz between the early 60s and mid 70s, Shorty Rogers, Russ Freeman all have similar gaps in their jazz discographies in that time (Shelly Manne would be one exception). And then stuff picked up again a bit, but on a smaller scale, Discovery became far more active again, there were some Japanese productions, some by Fresh Sound ... but indeed not much out of Las Vegas... the series on Woofy was later https://www.discogs.com/label/789229-Las-Vegas-Late-Night-Sessions there were some private productions out of Las Vegas but much fewer than Los Angeles https://www.discogs.com/release/13343133-Raoul-Romero-Orchestra-Meditations-On-The-Zodiac- and it seems Don Schlitten was the only one who regularly got Las Vegas musicians on his LA albums (Montrose with Frank Butler, but especially the series by Sam Noto)... so that does explain why Montrose was less involved in those 70s and 80s productions than others, in line with Larry's theory.... also, those David Holt productions were a bit obscure I guess (found one of them recently, it's ok but e.g. the Discovery albums of Jay Migliori or Bob Cooper, I like a lot better)
  11. Oh no, he was great! I heard him quite a few times in Cologne around 2000, he was one of the most impressive tenor players I ever saw live... one time in those years I was walking past Aachener See in Cologne, close to the famous Subway club and recognized him walking past me and said something very basic like "you are Nicolas Simion"... he didn't disagree but he seemed surprised to be recognized by an 18 year old...
  12. It's in the Billboard article
  13. regarding the 60+ hours of tape, as pointed out by someone in another forum, the way that misinformation got into the "bloodstream" may well have been via the liner notes of the preview LP which gives that number... (I believe you regarding the 26 - I'm just marvelling at their processes)
  14. on the left, you can see some more of the titles... wonder if the 4LP set will include the teaser LP plus three more so people have to buy that one again because it's so wonderful - probably yes... with a 16 LP set I'd say that's fine, with four LPs... and given that it's such a small selection, they should have called it "Some Tiberi Tapes" not "The Tiberi Tapes"
  15. Thanks! Probably didn't help that Jamie Krents who talks like he is in charge of the release told Billboard the following: "We were finally able to make an arrangement with Frank, who is still alive, to release the very best of those hundreds of hours of recordings. We’ve curated it down to a four-LP, two-CD set." I have that feeling that before the year is over, quality management in the production process will be a topic here... but for now that's pure speculation
×
×
  • Create New...