Louis Stewart – a thread of his own

A Lark Ascending

Hi Bev-

'Stringtime' is a beautiful thing! It'll be worth the wait. I think it's one of Louis best cds. He is in great company, and in great form. He seems to have an endless amount of ideas- and they just keep coming! A particular highlight is 'I've never been in love before.' Louis fires off chorus after chorus of inspired guitar playing. His lines are ridiculous!

Mark

There's an item in this month's Jazz Review announcing that Louis will be touring in a group with Gilad Atzmon next year. A very odd combination

Not really. Atzmon started out playing bebop. I spoke to him a few months ago and he seemed to know his Bird and his Cannonball, so this could be an interesting gig: Stewart is a formidable guitarist and Atzmon has a beautiful tone on alto. Looking forward to it.

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

Hi Mark,

Welcome.  I e-mailed Knut to let him know about your posted question.

So... did you get to hear Louis play last night?  If so, please tell us about it!  :cool:  Anything you'd care to share regarding Louis would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark?...

Did you see Knut's post?...

Hi Bev-

'Stringtime' is a beautiful thing! It'll be worth the wait. I think it's one of Louis best cds. He is in great company, and in great form. He seems to have an endless amount of ideas- and they just keep coming! A particular highlight is 'I've never been in love before.' Louis fires off chorus after chorus of inspired guitar playing. His lines are ridiculous!

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

I'm really looking forward to this.

The version of 'The Dolphin' on that disc is gorgeous.

I wish Louis would tour a bit more over here. I'm planning another trip to Ireland next summer. Maybe I'll strike lucky in Dublin this time!

Hi Jim-

Got that- thanks. And looking forward to that disc very much.

Saw Louis Friday night- there's a gig- duets- with a piano player called Myles Drennan- in a pub called The White Horse. The set up there is not ideal- there's no cover charge and an awful lot of noise from punters. The music is intimate; it is frustrating enough from a jazz-lovers point of view, and must be terrible for the musicians. (At one point Louis, mid-solo, stood up and apologised to the people chatting at the back if he was playing too loud!)

It's great that someone is actually paying musicians, but alas- couldn't really see this one lasting...

Hoping to get to the festival in Cork next week- Louis is on with Kirk Lightsey's trio.

Mark

Hi Jim-

You may know about Spondance- I saw it listed in the discography of Louis. If not- here goes...

It's a little known gem that Louis recorded (composed and arranged by my da, Jim Doherty, who also plays piano) in LA in 1986 with some top musicians, including Bobby Shew and Bob Shephard. Louis playing is superlative!

It was distributed through Livia Records until recently, but since Livia founder Gerald Davis passed away earlier this year, I don't believe it's available anymore. (I can't find the Livia website).

I can get some copies if anyone is interested. Please pass on this info to anyone who should know!

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 year later...

I just noticed a couple of recently-uploaded videos of Louis at YouTube. Nothing I would call ideal, but perhaps a nice taste for anybody who might be interested.

First, the older one, from a Dublin club in 1990. Just a snippet of Louis blowing, but pretty good picture and sound quality...

This one is obviously much more recent. Louis gets a chance to stretch out more on this one. I wish the sound quality was better, but it still displays some of Louis' skills and tasteful phrasing...

Enjoy.

• 4 months later...

I just picked up "Overdrive". Great lines! It's the first time I've listened to Stewart and I would like to get more. The only cd's I that I can find as available are on the Jardis label. Are there any others out there that are available? I may get a couple of the Jardis releases but I would rather get something that did not feature another guitar.

Overdrive is superb! If you like swinging, inventive jazz guitar...Get it!

I just picked up "Overdrive". Great lines! It's the first time I've listened to Stewart and I would like to get more. The only cd's I that I can find as available are on the Jardis label. Are there any others out there that are available? I may get a couple of the Jardis releases but I would rather get something that did not feature another guitar.

Overdrive is superb! If you like swinging, inventive jazz guitar...Get it!

Hey Newk, glad you're digging Overdrive. One of the best things Louis has recorded, for sure. As far as other CD's, have you tried contacting Knut Mikalsen at Villa Records? I would try that first.

Also, there's a new recording that Louis did with a piano trio... Louis Stewart with Frank Harrison Trio - "You've Changed". I haven't heard it yet, but you should be able to find it online (CD Baby has it, as I recall).

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, it's been a long time since this thread was up. Since I last posted, I finally managed (with the help of my tech-savvy teenaged son) to convert some vhs videos from my collection to dvd, and then got them uploaded to Youtube. I had just posted the following in another thread, but I thought it belonged here as well...

I uploaded about 30 individual songs from four different Louis Stewart club and concert appearances. One of these features Tal Farlow, and another features alto saxophonist Peter King. I didn't record any of the videos myself, but I've had them for decades on vhs tapes that I got in trades with other collectors. One of Louis' friends suggested that I upload them, and Louis gave his blessings. I hope some of the folks here will dig them. My favorite overall date is the quartet in Wales (not to be confused with "quartet #2 in Wales, which was filmed in a much darker club).

Here's the link: My Youtube page, featuring some rare Louis Stewart performances.

If you enjoy anything I've uploaded, do NOT miss this gentleman's videos. He is a close friend of Louis', and has a treasure trove of great stuff. He just recently posted a tribute video for Louis, which is a slideshow of photos which chronicles Louis' life in music, going back to some shots of him as a kid in the 50's. Lots of pics of Louis with many of the jazz greats he's played with since the 60's. I must have paused the thing about 47 times. ^_^

• 7 years later...