Any suggestions on what to do about a problem with a DVD

About 2 Christmases ago, I got a JVC DVD recorder combo, since I have tons of old Beta tapes to copy(We've had a beta since 1980) and even some of the older VHS tapes were in dire need of transfer. Saw this unit at HH Gregg , recorded and played all DVD formats. My older Philips DVD recorder(Which has since given up the ghost) only would only record DVD +R, and DVD +RW discs. And thought, might as well get an extended warranty, since plain ol' DVD players were dying on me every year or so, and with to recorder/players inside more potential for trouble. And I have hundreds of tapes to transfer, eventually.

Normally, I avoid these(extended warranties) like the plague, everything I read about them says they are more or less a waste of money(except perhaps on big ticket items) but, for $40 I would have 3 years of no worries. I seem to recall the salesman say, if it ever breaks down just bring it on in!

Even grabbed a 2nd one for my birthday in 06,(And another warranty) since I liked it so much.

Well, the one in my bedroom has 2 issues. It makes a fair bit of noise, I assume it's the fan on the back of it, and now the drawer will not close most of the time you hit the button, sometimes I even have to unplug the sucker to shut it off!!!

So, I went into their store, since I knew I had the receipt....somewheres...to see if I really needed it, or if they could look me up in the system. They could, and did...Now, I didn't really want to be without a recorder for too long, but I figured it might be a week. So, when I asked her how long it would take(No repairs are done in store) she said... 4 to 6 weeks!!! :eye: WTF???? Bring it in today, and in mid January, you will be right back to recording??? You have to be kidding me!!! I did forget to ask if there's any chance of a "loaner" but that sounds like something that should be damn near illegal. I know I got no warranty paperwork, it was just bring it in with your receipt if you have any problems with the unit.

So, long story short, what should I do??? It may just be a minor repair that any old shop could do, but it pisses me off after giving them 80 bucks that I should have to spend money to get it fixed.

Should I raise a stink at the store level??? Say the unit is broken, and that I want a new one, that I'm not going to do without a dvd player/recorder for a month and a half??? Somehow, I don't think that's going to work.

I see a Customer Relations phone # on their site....I can call them later on...I just feel like I am missing something, So, enlighten me someone! ^_^

Edited by BERIGAN

1) your extended warranty isn't worthless. it's going to get your recorder fixed.

2) 4-6 weeks isn't a long time for warranty repairs performed out-of-house. i've waited an average of 4 weeks for in-house non-warranty work on components in the past.

3) you say you have two of these recorders, right? so you won't be without a player for any amount of time.

4) should you raise a stink? no. the store is living up to it's responsibility, and is even honoring the warranty without requiring proper paperwork.

5) will you raise a stink and demand a new player? my guess is yes.

1) your extended warranty isn't worthless. it's going to get your recorder fixed.

2) 4-6 weeks isn't a long time for warranty repairs performed out-of-house. i've waited an average of 4 weeks for in-house non-warranty work on components in the past.

3) you say you have two of these recorders, right? so you won't be without a player for any amount of time.

4) should you raise a stink? no. the store is living up to it's responsibility, and is even honoring the warranty without requiring proper paperwork.

Are talking 4-6 weeks for some component that you ordered online and had to mail back??? 4-6 weeks is a long time, for a 30 minute repair(Most likely) in my book. If I have one or two players doesn't matter, I would be without a dvd player in my bedroom..... I have a friend staying with me who has ALS, and he is often asleep or in "his" room with the door closed, so I can't record in there when I want to. I could take the recorder out of there, but then he couldn't play a movie if he wanted to.

The store LIED to me, they just wanted the quick 40 bucks, the salesman wanted to get his cut, and made it sound like I wouldn't have any issues if I had a problem.

And you don't know me at all, I don't raise hell to get my way....

I'd chalk it up to a lesson learned on extended warranties, bite the bullet and find a local repair shop that can fix it in a time frame you find acceptable. Heaven forbid you send it away under the warranty and it comes back and still doesn't work right, or starts acting up again a short time later.

Before doing this, I would probably check with the store manager to see if he has something he can loan you should you opt for sending it off to be repaired under the warranty. If so, I'd send it off to be repaired, I guess.

And on a side note, it's a wonderful thing you're doing for your friend. I know you've spoken about him before. You have my respect, that's for sure.

Edited by papsrus

Are talking 4-6 weeks for some component that you ordered online and had to mail back??? 4-6 weeks is a long time, for a 30 minute repair(Most likely) in my book. If I have one or two players doesn't matter, I would be without a dvd player in my bedroom..... I have a friend staying with me who has ALS, and he is often asleep or in "his" room with the door closed, so I can't record in there when I want to. I could take the recorder out of there, but then he couldn't play a movie if he wanted to.

The store LIED to me, they just wanted the quick 40 bucks, the salesman wanted to get his cut, and made it sound like I wouldn't have any issues if I had a problem.

you're right, i don't know you personally. but from your many posts, i believe that you are someone who is prone to make outrageous claims, someone who argues viewpoints that have little or no basis in fact, and someone who is loathe to take personal responsibility for his mistakes.

oh yeah, and from this post i gather you're something of a...

moronic-crybaby-reporters.jpg

face it, there's a lot worse things in life than having to do without a 2nd dvd recorder for a few weeks.

you're right, i don't know you personally. but from your many posts, i believe that you are someone who is prone to make outrageous claims, someone who argues viewpoints that have little or no basis in fact, and someone who is loathe to take personal responsibility for his mistakes.

face it, there's a lot worse things in life than having to do without a 2nd dvd recorder for a few weeks.

Yes, I know there are things worst than being without a 2nd dvd recorder "for a few few weeks" dipshit. Like seeing a good friend who is slowly dying from ALS get the shit beat out of him my a wonderful homeless guy(just wasn't hugged enough I guess) in the middle of the day a few months ago.

His worthless aged Mom had just kicked him out of his house(long story) he was forced into living in a hotel and he was going down to see his lawyer since the inept federal government can't even get around to expediting his case, when the beating occured.

When my Dad picked him up after he was released from the hospital, there was no way he could take care of himself.

So, he has stayed with us since. We have found him passed out on the floor(His ear was damaged from the beating, and had screwed up his balance) had to clean up his sheets since the diaper his has to wear doesn't always hold in everything. And he gets weaker every day....worried he will fall and really hurt

BELIEVE me, I know there are worse things than a DVD player having problems.

I paid money, Insurance....so I wouldn't have to have to pay to have it fixed at a repair shop....papsrus is likely right, a lesson learned on extended warranties.

And you could learn a lesson from a fellow liberal like Pap.... may notice every word he types is not first filtered through a political viewpoint. :rolleyes:

Jesus Rob, take it easy! That's a fairly harsh reaction to Berigan's questions on this particular subject, and not necessary in my opinion.

Let it go...

Cheers,

Shane

Jesus Rob, take it easy! That's a fairly harsh reaction to Berigan's questions on this particular subject, and not necessary in my opinion.

Let it go...

Cheers,

Shane

shane, you're right of course. the reaction on which you commented was not related to berigan's initial post. that would have been harsh and unnecessary. what i was responding to was a guy who has gone out of his way to find the most outrageous and provocative stories to post on this board, someone who has been more interested in creating hysterics than engaging in meaningful dialog with others. in my initial response, i tried to point out his errors (worthless warranty, the amount of time a lot of us wait for repairs, his backup recorder), then i admittedly added a sting at the end for someone who has long made a habit of doing so to others.

am i supposed to separate berigan, the political provocateur, from berigan, the guy who imo is acting like an entitled cry baby?

oh, and one more thing. berigan, i think it's admirable that you're helping a friend suffering from ALS. i have no doubt that it as rewarding as it is difficult for you and everyone involved. however, i don't see how your friend's terrible disease has any bearing on your problem, or any place in your defense against my criticism of your dilemma.

shane, pap, et al - i have no problem in dropping it at this point. i think i responded honestly, if somewhat forcefully, to someone who has shown a lot less respect and understanding to other members of this board than i did here.

Edited by robviti

Let it go...

Cheers,

Shane

shane, you're right of course. the reaction on which you commented was not related to berigan's initial post. that would have been harsh and unnecessary. what i was responding to was a guy who has gone out of his way to find the most outrageous and provocative stories to post on this board, someone who has been more interested in creating hysterics than engaging in meaningful dialog with others. in my initial response, i tried to point out his errors (worthless warranty, the amount of time a lot of us wait for repairs, his backup recorder), then i admittedly added a sting at the end for someone who has long made a habit of doing so to others.

am i supposed to separate berigan, the political provocateur, from berigan, the guy who imo is acting like an entitled cry baby?

Nice job of letting it go! <_< Clearly, you can't look at ANYTHING without it being political, can you???

i was responding to was a guy who has gone out of his way to find the most outrageous and provocative stories to post on this board, someone who has been more interested in creating hysterics than engaging in meaningful dialog with others

Huh??? Oh, you mean when I called Obama a Muslim, born outside the U.S, whose books were written by William Ayer??? Oh wait, I never said those things! :rolleyes:

Perhaps it was using quotes of Obama saying things like the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties??? Was it when I said joe the plumber's real name is actually samuel?? Gosh, confused again, that was you who didn't quite understand that was his middle name.

Oh well, that stuffs all moot, Obama won fair and square, and will be all of our president(unlike how some on the left felt about Bush)

Perhaps you mean my outrageous comment earlier in the year that I thought the 2008 Tampa Bay Rays were going to finish in 3rd place, when everyone knew they were going to the World series! ^_^

Again with the politics!!!

Yeah, I'm entitled...entitled to an extended warranty that wasn't useless, or next to useless. Doesn't make sense to pay for a warranty if I can't record movies, or transfer tapes for 6 weeks. I don't have the patience of Job, and it looks like I should have saved the $80 on the two units to have it repaired quickly, locally.

I already explained, but clearly you didn't understand, that the other recorder was in a room that is frequently a room I can't be in,( I am a night owl, he isn't) and don't see the need to deprive him of a player. I could, but it doesn't matter two shits if I have two or not. I have purchased the 2 Combo units, a tv, cd players, black media, etc. from them, but no more. A company like HH Gregg, which is clearly in bad shape from the complete lack of business(Attacked by a whole staff when I walked in to ask the question) would do well to either have a repair shop on site, or have local contracts with shops....you know the shop I will now have to go to, and will get the recorder back in a week....

I took a trumpet in for repairs, got it back in a week. Took a lawn mower in to Sears (Still under factory warranty at the time) got it back in less than 10 days.

oh, and one more thing. berigan, i think it's admirable that you're helping a friend suffering from ALS. i have no doubt that it as rewarding as it is difficult for you and everyone involved. however, i don't see how your friend's terrible disease has any bearing on your problem, or any place in your defense against my criticism of your dilemma.

I mentioned it because because you said the comment above, after the Bush with the crying baby photo.

Just because one has problems in their lives, doesn't mean they aren't "entitled" to asking for suggestions on how to best go about not waiting til next year to get something fixed under warranty. That's all, not a bit of politics in my original post.

shane, pap, et al - i have no problem in dropping it at this point. i think i responded honestly, if somewhat forcefully, to someone who has shown a lot less respect and understanding to other members of this board than i did here.

Again, excellent , clearly you have dropped the subject, well, with another bash of ol' heartless Berigan, who shows a lot less respect and understanding to other members of this board than you did here. I'd ask you to prove it, but you'd have to pour thru 7000 + posts of mine, and I really would hate to see you waste so much of your valuable time to find a fight Johnny or Chris A and I had back in 2004.....

Yeah, I sometimes can be pretty poor at letting things go myself! :rhappy:

Edited by BERIGAN

For a repair done out of shop, 4 to 6 weeks is the standard response. It may be quicker, but if they tell you it'll be done in two weeks and it takes three, they know you'll be done there raising holy hell, so they cover their ass by extending the expected turnover.

Well, as a noted entitled crybaby, if raising hell would get it done in just 2 weeks, I'd be all for that! :crazy:

Of course, I have been messing around with it for awhile, and if I hold the tray up slighty while pushing the tray in(no, I didn't do that before I had the problem, always hit the button) it reads it most of the time. I can live with that....so forget everything I said before!

• 10 months later...

Well, everyone is dying for an update, right??? :excited:

I limped along with the recorder , having to put it in 10-12 times before it would accept the disc(A google search on this JVC model showed this is a fairly common issue with them) but it finally stopped working, and so I took it to a repair shop....he had it for a few weeks, and said the board was shot. I said, well just wanted to see if it could be fixed cheaply, I'll take it to the store I bought it from. When I told him it was H.H. Gregg, he said, good luck, but they likely wouldn't fix it! He said I guy he knew dropped off a big screen tv, and 4 months later, he still didn't have it back! :blink:

With those words of encouragement , I dropped the Recorder off July 13th. I got some paperwork back...never heard from them. Contacted them at about the 2 month point. Gee Sir, still shows its off for repairs....Gee Ma'am , any way to find out what might be holding up repairing it??? A Manager type then walked up and told her to tell someone else to contact the center ( I still have to imagine they outsource repairs anyway) She would contract me in 24 hours. I said thanks, and about a week later I got a call from...someone. When I played back the message, it appeared she couldn't say her own name ..... and said if I called back, I could get a number to call to find out what was up with my unit. Seems like it would be easier for her to call her own company, but oh well....

Thought I would go back in to the store to find out who might have called me. No one there knew, nothing had been updated when they brought up my DVD recorder. At that point I nicely asked for the District or Regional manager's phone number(Had enough people thru the years ask for that at Borders to know that's how the squeaky wheel gets greased. Well, I guess their District or Regional manager's don't like to be bothered by customers, so I got their generic 1-800 number instead.

That was a week ago...didn't get around to calling, and now this A.M. the other DVD recorder has stopped Playing or recording!

This is just classic! One recorder in the shop after 3 1/2 months, and now the other one is down! Can't wait to be without it til February or March! :angry:

Remember everyone, extended warranties are really swell, you should always get them...... and H.H. Gregg is a super special retailer that you should buy all your electronics from! They are going to be around for many, many more years!!!!! :crazy: