Louis Armstrong: Dear Old Southland

medjuck

Saw Benjamin Button last night. At one point the background music is Pops playing a lovely version of Dear Old Southland. Sounded like it was just him accompanied by a piano (but I could be wrong about that). It was a bit of a strange choice for background music because it was live with applause. Made it seem that Louis was playing somewhere nearby. I stayed through about 10 minutes of special effects credits at the end to get to the music credits. They only identified it as being courtesy of Columbia Records.

Anyone know what record/concert this might be from?

Edited by medjuck

Saw Benjamin Button last night. At one point the background music is Pops playing a lovely version of Dear Old Southland. Sounded like it was just him accompanied by a piano (but I could be wrong about that). It was a bit of a strange choice for background music because it was live with applause. Made it seem that Louis was playing somewhere nearby. I stayed through about 10 minutes of special effects credits at the end to get to the music credits. They only identified it as being courtesy of Columbia Records.

It's a duo recording with Armstrong on trumpet and Buck Washington on piano.

April 5, 1930. New York City. Recorded for Okeh.

And it is a lovely recording.

I haven't seen the movie so I can't know for sure, but there are live versions of Dear Old Southland in addition to Pops' first recording hat Jazztrain references above. One that comes to mind is on the Complete Town Hall Concert that was releasd on RCA. I think there is another live version that appeared on Decca and there is definitely another studio version that is on the Decca "Autobiography" set.

It's a duo recording with Armstrong on trumpet and Buck Washington on piano.

April 5, 1930. New York City. Recorded for Okeh.

And it is a lovely recording.

I expect that's it. The applause was probably for the beginning of the next song which was IIRC "If I Could Be with You". The two were run together.

Harold Z:

I was about to add a reference to duo recording done for the Autobiography set on Decca. That had Billy Kyle on piano and was from January 29, 1957.

The film credits to Columbia would indicate that its the earlier version on Okeh that was in the film.

Is the Town Hall version (5/17/47) also a duo recording? That was issued by RCA.

I haven't seen the movie so I can't know for sure, but there are live versions of Dear Old Southland in addition to Pops' first recording hat Jazztrain references above. One that comes to mind is on the Complete Town Hall Concert that was releasd on RCA. I think there is another live version that appeared on Decca and there is definitely another studio version that is on the Decca "Autobiography" set.

WEll it's worth $12 or whatever it costs to see a movie where you live but is a bit long and tries a bit too much to be deep. Nevertheless it's fun and a bit moving.

I think trying to be deep is a good thing.

Agreed but they seem to think that all it requires is a series of aphorisms.