Nuscope recordings

Bol

I've been consistently impressed with the releases on this label. The latest that I've purchased are Guillermo Gregorio's "The Chicago Approach" and Achim Kaufmann's "Starmelodics". Both are adventurous and thoughtful improvised "chamber music" in the best sense of that term. This is the kind of music that Jimmy Giuffre would have made if he had come of age in the last 10 years. And I cannot help thinking that Nuscope recordings are what ECM recordings should be like -- if Manfred Eicher had better tastes.

Edited by Bol

I don't quite see the point of the ECM comparison - I mean there is *some* free improv or avantgarde on ECM, but mostly it's dedicated to different music, some of it very European AND at the same time very good (Iro Haarla for instance, or The Source).

Anyway, I only have on Nuscope release:

1004_cover_web.jpg

John Butcher / Georg Graewe - Light's View (1004)

:tup :tup :tup

I can see where Bol makes the connection of Nuscope to ECM.

Russ Summers at Nuscope is meticulous in his recording methods and seems to come up with that pristine sound.

He has some great sets out on the label although I feel like some of them are a bit on the stiff side.

I think that this new Starmelodics with Kaufmann, Dresser, and Eisenstadt may be my favorite thus far.