WBGO online...it's bad

Soul Stream

I live in the New York area and listen to both these stations. However, I find WBGO not as polished as WKCR (except for Kenny Washington; he's real good). WKCR has Daybreak Express in the early am with some good hosts, Birdflight devoted to Bird, Out to Lunch, a 12 -3 program and then a 6-9 pm program with some very good hosts, called Jazz Alternatives, where they mix it up.

They also have special birthday celebrations where for 24 hours straight they just focus on the music of a paricular artist. They just had one for Brownie and the next one is November 21 for Coleman Hawkins. These birthday broadcasts are always good.

For area listeners, WKCR has just been restored to full power. Their antenna was connected to the World Trade antenna so it's been very hard to hear them for the past couple of years. They've just built a new one downtown and they sound good again. Thank god.

Interesting - I would have said WBGO is much more polished than WKCR (which is a college station, after all, despite the presence of a few DJs who have been there for 30 years). WBGO is way too polished for me. DJs seem to be hired for their smooth deep voices and not for any knowledge or insight related to the music. WKCR DJs are all volunteers, many are current students, and you do still sometimes find mispronunciations (saxophonist Charlie Roose). But, oh, the glorious music!

BTW, don't forget the weekly 5-hour Jazz Profiles slot Sundays on WKCR. Noal Cohen and I will be on with Sid Gribetz, talking and playing Gigi Gryce - November 16, 2003 - 2-7 PM

Mike