Brötzmann and Gustafsson on Olof Bright

Joe Christmas

David, I haven't heard the disc(s) you mentioned, but I can't imagine these 45's being like anything Mats has ever done. He takes the minimalist path for the most part, exclusively on baritone and tenor, save for a couple moments of Tourette's. Overall, I like them not for their musicality, but as a closer study of his extended techniques; there are few improvisers of the past 8 or so years with a language as immediately recognizable as his, IMO. So the opportunity to have a much closer, expanded look at the individual nuances of his playing is a valuable one for me.

Last time I checked, the Brotzmann was going for $21 through DMG. You'd be better of for sure ordering directly through Millroth at www.olofbright.com

This place is offering the Mats for 32 Euro, and the Brotz for 23. Whatever you do, having a relative feel for your taste, you must hear the Brotzmann at some point. It's wonderful.

Impropositions could well be in the same vein, though it's 7 years old now - sounds like an obsessive examination of some of the sonic possibilities of his various horns, including shrieks, howls, screams, pad sounds, and silence, and few Tourette's moments, as you say. No melody or rhythm to distract!

The vinyls are very tempting, I'll have to see what I can do.

• 2 months later...