Montreal jazz summer 2009.

Amazing evening last night, it started with the first part of the invitation series starring Renaud Garcia-Fons, i've already told you about him, check him out he'll blow your mind away. He did a few solo pieces, helped with an electronic device that allowed him to playloops which he uses with intelligence , it was still a great demostration of virtuosity. Then his guest for the evening dancer/singer talented and very very very lovely Sabrina Romero

Photo_de_presentation.jpg

Usually not a big fan of the dancing while playing but in this case the marriage between both parties was almost perfect, Garcia-Fons never dumbed down his level of playing to play with her and she showed grace and amazing coordination to fit very well the music.Once again , i urge you , check him out.

Saw a bit of Vieux Farka Touré, not bad but still sounds a bit dilluted, they play a bit too much to please their occidental audience, which may be a smart move but for me it makes for a less interesting experience.

Finally saw Ornette, received an award, he accepted the award mumbling something about love it was neither clear nor coherent but hey let's give him a break. Guess he didn't need a brak as for the next 70 minutes with his quartet he would give you more musical greatness than all the artists i saw combined this year.

African , classical, soul influences we even had a bit of Beat it during the performance, all done in a very cohesive and very artistical fashion. Only weird thing we had a singer called Mari Okubo who sang that sounded a bit operatic, it fitted quite well with the ensemble however don't know who decided that we had a light show going on at the same time like in Vegas. Maybe ssomeone dropped some LSD in the coffee of the guy in charge of the lights. His pieces are not long anymore, to quote a jazz critic, it was more of a series of musical spasms.

Anyway, a show for the ages.

Sad news item to pass along, not sure if he's well known here to make a thread about him. Jazz writer, photograph Len Dobbin was declared clinically dead last night, he was at the Upstairs bar to attend the Felix Stussi/ Ray Anderson gig when he suddenly colapsed.

Len was a great friend of the jazz community, Pepper Adams even wrote a song in his honor titled Dobbin.

RIP

Oh man, there should be a thread, he's done some great jazz photography and writing.

I see there's but one article on the web that mentions his death. :(

Died the same year Coda did.

Saw two gigs last night, the invitation series resumed with host Rennaud Garcia-Fons who this time had accordeonist with Jean-Louis Matinier, a little less intense and emotive than the flamenco session but the combo did some great music. More classical and straight in a way. Matinier ain't no Galliano.

Saw local musicians playing on an outside venue, someone wants to explain, why they are able to get a better sound that allows us to hear all instruments when indoors where we pay top dollars we are often stuck hearing a part of the band.

Finally ended the night with Bill Charlap and Houston Person. No musical revolution there, but a classy performance, they played standards, Charlap has a delicate touch that fits well this kind of music. Person still has a sweet tone. They were especially convincing on slow ballads.

Today, last night for gigs inside, Gonna see Renaud Garcia-Fons with a whole band and will finish the festival with Greg Osby.

Edited by Van Basten II

Jazz season is now over :(

The big jazz fest ended well with Garcia-Fons quartet which was not as spectacular he was last year but gained in tightness and control. His residence was one of the finest that i had the pleasure to witness here.

Greg Osby and his sextet offered their brand of modern jazz, none of his sidemen tore the roof down , of course we had the almost obligatory MJ song, this time it was Ben who was covered.

My top three moments of the jazz fest will be

1 Ornette Coleman quartet

2 Brian Blade Fellowship

3 Renaud Garcia-Fons series

Well, now my summer holidays are over and the jazz prestations will be scarce . I do know we have the Vandermark 5 coming in august but that's about it.

Just got back from my trip to Montreal and Tremblant. I spent two nights in Montreal at the free events. Saw some nice jazz trios at the Club Jazz venue. Other than that, I'd have to say this was the first time I left the Montreal Jazz Fest feeling nothing. Mind you that I've usually stayed 3-4 nights in the past and have always focused on the free events of the festival and have been richly rewarded. This year, as a newlywed, I spent much more time away from the festival (Old Montreal, Crescent St). In fact, the best thing about my visit this time was finding a nice Irish bar that had real Irish music! (my wife is American of Irish heritage, if you didn't read between the lines)

In years past, traveling as a single, I'd spend all my time at the festival - 6-7 hours per day - and heard some really nice stuff. This year, the abbreviated schedule I maintained just did not afford me an opportunity to hear much that I liked outside of the Jazz Club venue. The Blues were good though - as always, but competed with the jazz outside. I found the Groove jazz stage very disappointing - not enough real groove - like a few years ago when I saw Nya lead a really excellent show. I have to say that I hated that the Parc du Fred Barry seems to have dissappeared entirely. It was such a nice spot to hear the Blues

I have to day that I like what I saw of the new festival grounds- in spite of my comment above about Parc du Fred Barry. Seems like there's a few things to be completed, but I know I'll be back. I told my wife that the next tme we come back, I'm going to finally buy some tickets to a paid event.