Fred Hersch, Sunday 3-15, 7 p.m. Live From Blue Lake

Lazaro Vega

Pianist/composer Fred Hersch had a difficult 2008. See:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...=001&sc=625

After returning to public performance in October, and hitting with his band in San Francisco in early February, on February 22nd he gave his first solo piano recital since his recovery at the Wichers Auditorium of the Nykerk Hall of Music at Hope College, Holland, Michigan.

This Sunday evening, March 15th, at 7 p.m. eastern time, Blue Lake Public Radio is pleased to present a recording of that historic performance in its entirety. Highlights include heart breaking renditions of "I'll Be Seeing You" and "This Nearly Was Mine," as well as several Hersch originals including "Whirl" and "Mandevilla," as well as Benny Golson's jazz classic "Whisper Not."

The last time Blue Lake Public Radio was fortunate to record Mr. Hersch was in the Spring of 2006 in Grand Rapids shortly after Hersch's week long solo piano engagement at The Village Vanguard. His long-time association with Hope College in Holland and Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo has provided tremendous educational opportunities for young musicians in the region and regular highlights in the concert year.

Fred Hersch live at Hope College, Holland, will stream live over Blue Lake Public Radio this Sunday evening beginning at 7 p.m. from http://www.bluelake.org/radio .

Lazaro Vega

Producer and host

Thanks for John Erskine of the Hope College Sound Lab for recording and preparing this performance for broadcast.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

Lazaro,

That will be fabulous. I will be tuned in.

Fred is amazing, not only for his playing but for the incredible physical recovery he has gone through over the past year and a half.

Mark the date of Friday, May 15th in your calendar.

Fred was in Boston a couple of weeks ago and agreed to come in to WGBH and do an hour performance/conversation with me. He got to play our 9' Hamburg Steinway "D" Concert Grand piano. He fell in love with it!

We're holding the show until the 15th so we can get as much forward promotion from 'GBH as possible. Member magazine, website, on-line, on air promo spots etc.

The hour will be broadcast on Friday, May 15th from 9-10pm during Jazz from Studio Four.

You can hear it by going to

www.wgbh.org/jazz

and click on "Listen Live"

Keep up the good work,