Widen your listening boundaries

A Lark Ascending

Possibly the disc that has given me the greatest pleasure all year on sale here for $5 for this week only (look at the bottom of the page):

http://www.noside.com/

Swedish folk-ish group 'Groupa' - a band with an almost jazzy sense of improvisation and perpetual change.

The Annbjorg Lien at $9 is a bargain too - more 'proggy' but great fun from this excellent Norwegian fiddle player.

Oh, and the three samplers at $5 each are astounding. In the end they cost me a fortune this year!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Long story.

a) Way back in the early 80s in my folk club days a local Nottingham band kept playing Swedish polskas. I was intrigued.

B) In the late-80s I came across a Swedish group called Filarfolket. Heard them on the radio. Saw them at a couple of festivals, bought a couple of CDs. Other Scandanavian CDs I heard were a bit too much mixed with heavy rock. Lost attention.

c) Earlier this year I heard an Anglo-Swedish group on BBC4 from the Celtic Connections festival called Swap. Bought the CD. Fascinated.

d) Got recommended the Northside compilations on AAJ. Was competely smitten in the spring. (This all overlapped with an interest in 17thC Swedish History). Started picking up Scandanavian releases.

e) Decided to take my summer holiday in Sweden and Norway. Bought a large number of folk-based releases.

Scandanavian folk music is just very distictive and a fair bit of it has a jazzy element.

'Groupa' are remarkable. I think the thing about jazz that attracts me most is that sense of all the various parts moving pretty feely. Groupa have that same effect.

Very strongly recommended to anyone who, like me, enjoys straying off into totally foreign musical fields every so often.

Incidentally, Northside are very efficient! Delivery normally in a few days.

Edited by Bev Stapleton