Opinions on Christian McBride's "Kind of Brown"?

dukesantos

I'm interested in checking it out, but I don't think it comes out until June 16th or so. Though I'm sure there are those here who get advance copies.

It's available for download on amazon (my mistake it's not available for download, just the snippets). I've listened to the snippets and it kind of reminds me of McCoy Tyner for some reason.

Edited by dukesantos

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't heard the CD yet but I went and saw them the other night in Seattle and they were KILLIN'! Carl Allen and Eric Reed aren't on the tour but their replacements, Ulysses Owens (only 26 years old) and Peter Martin, were great. I think they played the first 5 tracks off the new cd plus Tenderly and from what I heard I'd definitely pick this CD up. :tup

I bought it last night and listened to a bit of it. I really need to give it a closer listen, but I was very impressed with Warren Wolf Jr, and Steve Wilson, though his tone is very Kenny Garrett, I didn't hear a slew of Garrett-isms, which I know some people have complained of Wilson being sort of a Garrett-lite.

Edited by CJ Shearn

I have had the advance for a while and I dig it. Not ground breaking but it has a nice breezy retro 60's Blue Note feel (swing check, bluesy at times check, but no boogaloo check), good energy from some young players with nice compositions. I would imagine in a live setting the tunes really take off.

I recommend it for those that want some good inside/outside with more focus on the inside contemporary jazz. Pretty much anything McBride does is at least worth a listen in my opinion.