Don Elliott At The Modern Jazz Room

Chas

Both Bruyninckx and Lord list the recording location for this record as 'New York' , and the date as 'August 16 , 1956' , but a contemporaneous Gramophone review lists the location as 'Chicago' , and the date as 'July 1956' , info presumably gleaned from the liner notes . Lending support to the latter location and date , the July 22 , 1956 edition of the Chicago Tribune has a notice about Elliott's week-long stay at the Modern Jazz Room (located upstairs at the Preview Lounge) . I say 'lending support' , only because fake live albums are not unknown , and the discographers' August 16th date has the preciseness of a studio log entry . On the other hand , I'm not aware of any examples of fakery from ABC-Paramount (e.g. Billy Taylor At The London House is a genuinely live recording afaik) . Therefore , unless someone knows otherwise , the discographers are wrong on this Elliott recording . In addition , the discographical entry for this recording should be amended to note that Elliott sings on I Only Have Eyes For You .