eBay/PayPal return policies

I bought a "lot" of 40 comic books on eBay recently. These were described as mint and in perfect condition and all bagged & boarded by a top-rated seller who had 100% positive feedback with a total number of raters over 900. So I pulled the trigger as my past experience buying collectibles on there was stellar.

To my surprise, I got the package yesterday and they were anything but. The condition of the books were poor and that's an understatement.

Now, the purchase is covered by PayPal and they promise to refund your original ship fees along with the purchase price you paid as long as you pay return shipping on the item. The seller has a different return policy and won't pay the original ship fees. Going through PayPal would require me to open a formal dispute. I'd rather talk to the seller first.

Has anyone encountered a dilemma like this? Thanks guys!

Edited by trane_fanatic

Contact the buyer just once for a return (based on your dissatisfaction with the condition of the items) and full refund. Sounds like you may have tried this already, but, if not, you should do as a first step.

If he refuses, open up a Paypal dispute. IIRC there is an option in the Paypal process that reads something like "items undelivered or not as described".

Don't feel guilty about it - if you've been misled, you're entitled to your money back as a bare minimum. When you send the stuff back, I would spring for proof of postage just to be sure (Paypal can be incredibly bureaucratic).

I bought a "lot" of 40 comic books on eBay recently. These were described as mint and in perfect condition and all bagged & boarded by a top-rated seller who had 100% positive feedback with a total number of raters over 900. So I pulled the trigger as my past experience buying collectibles on there was stellar.

To my surprise, I got the package yesterday and they were anything but. The condition of the books were poor and that's an understatement.

Now, the purchase is covered by PayPal and they promise to refund your original ship fees along with the purchase price you paid as long as you pay return shipping on the item. The seller has a different return policy and won't pay the original ship fees. Going through PayPal would require me to open a formal dispute. I'd rather talk to the seller first.

Has anyone encountered a dilemma like this? Thanks guys!

Edited by alppila

You should always attempt to deal directly with the seller before opening any complaints with Ebay or Paypal. Most sellers will accept returns or be willing to renegotiate prices if you are not satisfied. More often than not, Ebay and Paypal need not be involved. I would only institute actions as a last resort.

I've been an Ebay dealer for over six years, and in several instances when there has been a grading issue, I have tried to reach an agreement with the buyer whenever these kinds of problems occur. Direct communication is the best plan of action.